Interior Cabin Choice on Westerdam for Alaska Cruise

CleverEuphemism

We are looking to book on the Westerdam for an Alaskan cruise. We are going with interior so we have the budget for a land tour before and I could use some help choosing a cabin. There are not many choices left (no large I category cabins) and we can go with one of the following:

• Deck 6 (Upper Verandah Deck): There are K and L category cabins available near the bow on the inside of the hall (K6022 for example).
  • Deck 7 (Rotterdam Deck): There are a few M and L cabins aft, like M7129.
  • Deck 10 (Observation Deck): There a few K category here, like K10021).

I was leaning towards one on Deck 10, the Observation Deck for easy access to the Crow's Nest for viewing (especially since we are in an inside cabin). I understand these are fairly new since the dry dock refurbishment so I have not been able to find much information and there are no reviews (this is my main reason for posting). Second choice would be Deck 7 because these are aft cabin, I understand there is may be less movement? No one gets seasick but these seem like a better choice, perhaps?

We have cruised before but not with HAL so I am not familiar with the ships. Any advice?

Deck plans:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/westerdam-deck-plans/dp/

I believe some of the K insides have a banco-style couch, meaning a curved couch (not sure about the new Ks though); the Ls, and Ms will not (I've been in the Ms and they are tight... bed and vanity and chair, not even sure it had the nice adjustable HAL table), if a couch matters to you. Google K10021... try HAL Vista Class, I'm sure I've read that that room (could have been a sister ship) has had noise complaints about a door nearby slamming, and noise from the pool area and sliding roof. Of course it does have easy access to outside and the Crow's Nest!

That being said, I prefer a couch, and easy access is always good. A short Alaska cruise is all about what's outside and you will likely be outside the greatest part of the trip. So it becomes a choice between access and sitting room inside... but do the searches about each room.

Let us know what you select. m--

We have been in the Inside cabins on the Observation Deck several times on various HAL ships. We love them for the access to the Crow’s Nest and there are stairs by the Crow’s Nest to go up to an outside area with loungers. Very few people know about and use this area. The proximity to the Crow’s Nest made it feel like it was your living room. When I got up earlier than my husband, I would go to the Crow’s Nest and had the place to myself. Very nice.

The cabins are large but there is no couch. There is a table and an extra chair. At first I was disappointed not to have a couch, but quickly appreciated the roominess we had without the couch.

We were never bothered by noise from elevators or the Crow’s Nest. Because the hallways are short, it is quick to get to the elevators around the corner and a quick one flight down to the spa and Lido Deck. THese are our cabins of choice.

Hope this helps with your decision. Deb

We have been in the Inside cabins on the Observation Deck several times on various HAL ships. We love them for the access to the Crow’s Nest and there are stairs by the Crow’s Nest to go up to an outside area with loungers. Very few people know about and use this area. The proximity to the Crow’s Nest made it feel like it was your living room. When I got up earlier than my husband, I would go to the Crow’s Nest and had the place to myself. Very nice.

Thank you for the tip about the outside area and everyone else for the advice. We chose the Observation Deck (10). We are actually traveling in a small group with three cabins, so the Crow's Nest will be a great place to meet up before activities/meals and run out if there is something to see outside. I thought it was the best choice for only a few steps to sunlight. :) We've never had an inside cabin before but I am sure we will have a great time.