need suggestions for tours

mortypro

This past August, it was our 4th time stopping in Cozumel. Our first trip, we took the ship's tour to Tulum. The whole family really enjoyed this tour a lot (loved the beach at Tulum, too) but it was a long mainland excursion and didn't leave any time to see any of Cozumel. Our 2nd time, we went swimming with the Dolphins at Chankanaab Park and then spent the rest of the time downtown. My son loved the Dolphin swim. Downtown is interesting but you need to be ready to be pestered constantly to buy tequila, cigars, etc. Third trip, we used Gerry as a private driver to go to the Tequila Farm and then around the other side of the island where we had a drink at Coconuts and lunch at another beach bar. The other side is really nice and worth seeing...great waves, natural bridge rock formation, etc.. It was a very relaxing day. This last trip, we booked the ATV tour directly through the company instead of the ship (about half the price for the same tour). This turned out to be our favorite excursion of the cruise. We got to see the interior of the island for the first time and the ATV's were fun to drive. We definitely would recommend this excursion. We did end up downtown for a couple of hours afterward and again felt pestered. Most of the folks are friendly but quite a few are somewhat insistent about showing you things to buy. All I wanted to do was walk around and quietly take photos but as soon as they saw me coming up the street, one after another would come over to me. I felt like "bait" in a sharkpool, at times! Next time we are in Cozumel, we'd probably take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen for the day or head back to Tulum.

My BF and I decided to play the ultimate tourist, so we took the excursion offered by Carnival called the "shopping tour." Which was good, because I hate to shop. We went to a museum,

001178-R1-06-17A_edited-1-1.jpg

Discover Mexico.

There was this great "city of miniatures" depicting all the great buildiings in Mexico.

001178-R1-02-21A.jpg

Please Note that is not Godzilla climbing on a life size building, just a local lizard.

We went to El Cedral, were a catholic church and a mayan ruin share the same space. The church is open to all, including animals, so it had , lets say an odor.

We then headed over to the east shore-absolutely beautiful

001178-R1-13-10A_edited-1.jpg

We were then driven to a tequila factory. Learned all about how to make tequila, there were free samples.

The bus was air conditioned, we had a full day without being worn out, we saw a lot of Cozumel that most people don't get a chance to see on one day. Our hubbies were scuba diving, but we had a blast seeing the sites.

It's called a shopping tour because you get short lessons at each stop and learn how to tell the real from the fake. What is a real value and what's not, At the end of the tour we could choose between having lunch in town and finding our own way back, or taking the bus back to the port(we chose this option). I think the tour took 4-5 hours.

Hope this helps,

Archived