Funicular/Cable car hours in Santorini and Athens?

Just read some great reviews from Jeth, MPVinBoynton,Mike&Charlotte, Steve Bruin (I am a Bruin from UCLA too), Luv to Travel, etc...Does anybody know (1) the time the last funicular stops running from the Licabettus Hill? Can one drive up and down this hill with a taxi or tour guide car? (2)Also, for Santorini, is 09:00 p.m. the last time a cable car will go up/down the slope? (3)Any bouzouki tavern you would recommend that is open in the afternoon and on a Sunday? Thank you Mike Andrews and Hlitner for your great tips as well.

Hi, It 's just me again. Trying to finalize the plan for [B]Athens[/B],whether to take the Celebrity tour of Acropolis/Plaka Shopping which starts at 1:00 p.m. and allows us to recooperate after many long day tours or to hire a driver guide for the day. (1)Wonder if the taxi can drive one up the Lycabettus Hill so one does not need to concern about the funicular stopping hour? (2)Also, is it still OK to visit the Acropolis/Parthenon in the afternoon, may be we can get the tourguide to start the tour at noon or 1:00 p.m. (3) With the taxi, does not have to walk less to go to the Parthenon versus the Celebrity tour bus? (4)If we start the tour late, we will miss the changing of guard at 10:45 am on Sunday morning! Is it something not to be missed? (5) Is it true Plaka is not lively until the afternoon? Thanks "Ltgl"

So many question (smile). Regarding the changing of the guard, the answer depends on what you feel is important. If you are in the neighborhood (its close to the Plaka) than by all means stop for a few minutes. A "tour" of the Plaka boggles my little mind since I cannot imagine why anyone needs a guide. Its just a small area that you can easily explore on your own. Like any shopping/cafe area it is more alive later in the day and is a lot of fun at night. As to the Acropolis, the taxis and buses will have to drop you at an area that is below the site. You still need to climb up the path, so I don't see any difference between how you get to this site. However, a guide can add some history to the ruins so even if you go on your own, you might want to pick up an English tour at the entrance (we have actually "tagged along" on the rear of a few different tours on various visits. I thought the funicular ran up Lycabettus Hill well into the evening, but whether to make this trip should depend on the smog! We have been to Athens when it was too polluted to enjoy the view, and we have been there on a crystal clear day when it was wonderful (it took 4 or 5 trips until we got a perfect day).

Hank

Hank,

Thank you so much for your response. You are one of the few who have the patience and knowledge to respond to my very obssessive compulsive questions (smile)...We will take your recommendations and will only go up to the Lycabettus Hill if it is a clear day. I guess my mom and aunt will hang out at the bottom of the Acropolis if they are too tired to walk up... When I travel with my husband to Europe, we usually are not afraid to travel by trains or Metros, but my mom is understandably very worried about it! So, we will have tour guides for all ports for this trip...
I recently read an article on a Sunday newspaper on the possible traffic congestions in the next few months due to constructions in preparation for the Olympics. Hopefully things will be better by the end of June...Kim

Kim,

Your major concern in Athens will be the weather. If you get lucky, it is a very enjoyable city for a day! There are some benches in the park-like area that leads up the hill to the Acropolis. However, your Aunt and Mom might be OK if you all take your time, and stop for an ocassional rest. Traffic in Athens is always pretty congested, but I don't think the Olympics will have much effect other than the period around the games.

Hank

Archived