P&O Cruise Connections

ps646566

Please be wary of the P&O Cruise Connections Messageboard/Forum, from an internet security point of view.

Unlike any other forum that I have ever known, it insists on people putting up real names and addresses, and people get censored or even barred for using aliases.

Posts which frequently appear on there along the lines of ...

"We are off to the Canaries on Oriana on the 5th of next month. Our twin daughters start their gap year in Australia on the same day (and the dog goes into kennels). Just can't wait to get aboard again. singed Ron & Marjorie Treadway."

... are asking for trouble.

From the user's profile the town of residence can easily be obtained. Anyone intent on the burglary of a known empty house is thus provided with a gift. And anyone can sign up to this messageboard within minutes, in order to lurk it.

P&O and many of the regulars on the board seem intent on maintaining the status quo because they think that it deters disruptive influences. I find this naive and unwise, in that it ignores the risks of the ever increasing and innovative nature of internet related crime. And a properly moderated forum can deal with disruptive influences anyway.

I have drawn this to the attention of P&O, pointing out that all responsible internet security advice stresses not use real names or to reveal personal information. But I am not sure whether they will take any action. Meanwhile I recommend anyone using those boards to exercise considerable caution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived