Funchal February 2006

first cruise

Hey Matilda and Mitasol and Seabourndt, have you found this thread yet??? I'd like to keep it on the first page in case anyone new comes along like me and has trouble using these notices.....just like a driver on the highway, anthing to be in front!!!!!

Re-issuing the invitation for Funchal 2006 around Australia travellers to get in touch.......First Cruise (Lea)

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone, Just bumping myself up to the top of first page. Still looking for fellow travellers on the February 2006 Funchal Cruise through Classic International Cruises. After all, if I was clever enough to find the cruise critic message boards (and I have only been using the internet since hubby bought the tickets for the cruise!), anyone who is going on the Funchal should find them too!!!!! Would love to hear from anyone, even past passengers on this wonderful ship. I check the messages frequently, so I will be touch. Take care and happy sailing, First Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Seabourndt,

Glad to see you found my thread!!!! Yes I am still waiting to find some travellers on Funchal in February 2006, guess they are out there somewhere!!!! They will find me soon enough I guess!!! Your own cruise isn't far away is it, not long to go now. Take care, Lea

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings First Cruise

You'll be pleased to hear that there are indeed others out there in the Funchal community! I'm afraid we are not booked on the February circumnavigation with you, but we live in Port Melbourne and will be able to wave as you pass through in early March. We (wife Sue and I) have read the other Funchal thread with great interest because we will be on the 20 March relocation voyage from Fremantle to UK. Like you and the other regular correspondents we are keen to learn all we can about this veteran ship. We look forward to the adventure of travelling on a classic, small and more personalised vessel through a variety of unfamiliar places over an extended period, but are a little apprehensive about her stability, cabin comfort, etc. Anyway, hopefully some fellow circumnavigators will pop up on this board before you depart.

With best wishes, Allan

great to see someone else on the board, yes iam on the athens-freemantle cruise i'm leaving in 1 weeks time. i went on a short cruise on her lasyt april and had a great time. the single cabin i had was a bit small i guess compared to larger ships but it was quite nice. this one is a bit bigger but sharing it and am a bit worried how much drawer space there will be. no heard definatly if ia,m with someone or if indeed the cruise is full. i was checking up on the ship compared with other ships and she compared well. at 20.5 draught is deeper than quite a few others and length too. another ship the old stockhom now trading as spirit of adventure is a little smaller in size to funchal. a friend of mine is doing her next november to sri lanka among others. maybe i could get in touch after the cruise as i will be staying in melboune for a week after the cruise. staying at the miami hotel. on 18th we are all going to the TITANIC RESTAURANT.

talk soon

dave

the excursions given on my cruise seem a bit short on choice as a few places i would liked to have done st cathereines monastry and luxor are not being done but on other ships they are. i'm sure we will have a great time

Hi Allan and Sue, So nice to hear from you. As you have probably read, Des and I did a 12 night cruise on Funchal last February, and loved it. Yes, the ship has been around for a while, but she is really nicely appointed. Our cabin was a good size, although some people had smaller ones. The staff are great!

We will be sure to report back after we have done the cruise from Athens to Fremantle.

Cheers, Lesley.

Hi Allan and Sue,

Wow!! Thanks for replying to the boards!! Do you know anyone who might be thinking of going on the February cruise? 3 months and counting down to our cruise, can't wait!! Wish we were going on the same cruise as Lesley, Des and Dave, but we are all meeting at the Titanic restaurant in December, which will be fantastic. And we will be waving madly when our cruise arrives in Melbourne next March. Best Wishes, Lea

• 1 month later...

great meeting up with you at the TITANIC RESTAURANT really had a great time, lost your email address. i'm back now hope all goes well for your cruise and the ship is sailing now on her way to freemantle. hope yopu find a few people that are also cruising with you. having a quiet christmas here with mum. had a great time with lesley and des really saw a lot in my time in melbourene. the weather here is fine and sunny 40f a bit cold though.

all the best

dave

We were also on the Funchal cruise from Athens to Fremantle, but only got as far as Safaga, Egypt, where the ship was delayed for three weeks or more with a busted engine. We were at the same table for dinner with Seabourndt and two others who we met on Cruisecritics. We had to leave the ship and fly home because of Christmas and other commitments. Would have loved to have stayed, but never mind. According to the revised itinerary she would be in Singapore today, and I'm envious. We did miss some terrific ports. Maybe we will get to them some other time.

Anyway, you and First Cruise and Rrambler should be quite OK for your cruises. The ship will be right back on schedule by the 13th Jan. when she is due to get to Fremantle.

Apart from all that, you will love the ship and the staff, and the food!!

Matilda.

Hi Matilda

Sorry to hear you were delayed and missed some Ports but sounds like you enjoyed the ship. Have read some reviews, some good, some not so good but we are booked now and looking forward to it. Hope First Cruiser enjoys the round Australia trip, looks great. We are just hoping she leaves on time as we have to book flights to join her in Fremantle (Exmouth WA).

Alan and Carol may face same issue. Still hoping to hear from anyone else travelling Freo to UK, must be lots outh there as availability was tight, had to get next cabin level as others were booked out.

Kevin and Denise

Hi Lea

We are booked on Funchal to UK, you are calling to Exmouth 15 Jan, we live here and are quite happy to meet you off the boat and show around. in ezchange for info on Funchal. Let us know what you want to do and we can give tou a full day out if you wish, no charge we are happy to promote Exmouth and would like to meet fellow cruisers.

Happy Cruising

Denise and Kevin

Hi Fozzie (Denise and Kevin),

Thanks for your reply. Would love to meet you at Exmouth, that would be fantastic!!! And we will be full of info on the Funchal!! email is hondowsh@hotmail.com so feel free to email at any time. As we don't know anyone in Exmouth, your info on your hometime would be great. Look forward to meeting you and giving you the news. Take care, (First Cruise) Shayne and Lea

wonder hows the funchal's doing? not heard anything fro our friends on board hopefully she should be getting imn in a weeks time. sure you'll have a great time. expecting the refund and day now. done most of tjhe digital pics now, quite good.

all the best

dave

ps waas reading an article in the shipping magazine which mentioned the funchals problems with cic in their 1st cruise. the generator went just after they left greece albeit with nio passegers she was 2 weeks later into freemantle.

Archived