Carnival Legend Review 5/27-6/3

geogirl

We just returned from the Legend. I sailed with my two daughters-18 & 21. We had a wonderful time. We had an "obstructed balcony" and loved the balcony. The life boats below us did not bother us at all. The stateroom was spacy. We found the boat beautiful. We played a game in which we tried to find areas with no urn motif! The beds were "fair". Our steward was efficient and friendly. (although he woke us up twice to clean and we are not late sleepers- it was before 8! We had issues at the beginning of the cruise. . my daughter has severe food allergies-and this info was in our regist and we are past guests. Our last cruise they acknowledged her and the allergies immediately when we boarded. This time was another story. We went to the MDR before dinner to speak with someone. We explained it to the hostess. She then stated, "just avoid these foods" This was very frustrating and she did not seem to understand cross contamination. We had to explain her food allergies to 5 different people that evening. (my daughter decided not to eat that night after all that). I went to guest services the next day and they told me to speak with the Matr'd. He was not there everytime we went nor did we ever meet him. The head chef came & spoke with us that evening & stated, "everything will be taken care of". We requested another server this evening and we requested to stay with this waiter the remainder of the cruise.(He was wonderful). The food was not that spectacular as compared with previous cruises (although we were not hungry). Evidently, gone are the days with the exceptional food and the flaming baked alaska :( The ports of call were wonderful. We went to Nachi Cocom independantly in Cozumel. Very well priced! The food & drinks were great! Really the best food I ate the entire trip! The beach was so wonderful. The swim up bar was great. My daughter rented a jet ski. (I think for $40). I can't tell you how fun this place was :). In Belize, we chose to do an indenpendent tour with Cave Biz with a tour of Alta Huna and a short caving tour. We did not get to tender off the boat until 9:30 (the original itenary stated 8:00 am). We met our guide without any difficulty. He was very knowledgeable and provided information about the country. The drive to the ruins was informative but kind of scary. (there was road check points with officers with machine guns) We would stop at the points and they would wave us on. He stated it was due to "very bad drug problems". Alta Huna was amazing to see. We enjoyed the history of the area. After we finished there, we were on our way to cave tubing. I asked the guide what would be our arrival time back to the port. He said "about 4 pm". This was the time that our ship was to leave. We then chose to forego the cave tubing and to back to port. This seemed to confuse him but I assured him I was paying him (he made a call in Spanish to the office and he told me we would have to pay the entire quoted price). I told him again, I plan on paying the full price but we do not want to chance with the timing. He took us back to the port and I did pay him the full price. The port from this location was VERY scary. Many officers with machine guns. The port gate person looked at our ship card and cracked the door to let us in the gate. I would not choose to go to Belize mainland again. I would love to see the cayes around the mainland. We loved Rotan! We did another independent tour with Victor Bodden. We chose the private tour. Our guide was awesome. She was informative and very friendly. We chose wherever we went. We wanted to shop for a few gifts and she took us to some shops and a market. I learned very quickly to let the guide barter for us! We then went to visit the monkeys and other creatures. I loved the visit here. (this is also where you pay for the trip). She drove us around and stayed the remainder of the day on West Bay at The Mayan Princess Resort. The cost was $10 p/person. The resort was absolutely gorgeous. The prettiest pool area that we have ever seen. . waterfalls and all. The beach area was nice. The snorkeling was good. We ordered drinks that were very good but did not order food. The only downside to this area-the relenlant vendors. They were annoying. A guard was present that would make them get on their way-but, they kept coming back. We got back to the port with only 10 minutes to spare! We really loved Rotan :). In Grand Cayman, we booked a Carnival excursion on the luxury yacht with snorkeling and the visit to Starfish Point. We enjoyed the trip but felt it was overly priced. The seas were VERY choppy and snorkeling was not good nor safe this day. I snorkel frequently and I had difficulty making it back to the boat. The yacht crew was friendly. We were served sandwiches and rum punch ( or soft drinks). Starfish Point was a little dissapointing. We did see and hold Starfish (but the guide had to find them). We dd not get to stay at this point more than 20-30 minutes. The boat ride was relaxing but we would choose to get a cab to the beach next time. We walked around Grand Cayman for a while but it was extremely hot this day and we chose to go back to the ship early. The "ship" days were manily spent in the Serenity Area. I got the priviledge of a hammock twice while sailing :). Altough the name is Serenity, the area is quite loud. The slide is just over this area. A side note-the slide does not go into a pool as usual. We enjoyed several shows. Our favorite being probably the cheapest-The Liars Club. It was very funny. As compared to other cruises, this cruise staff was not "like family". It was the 3rd day before we knew who was the Cruise Director even was. The only other "issue" we had was when we went to pick up the bags at disembarkation, my daughter's luggage pocket was ripped. Tampa has the quickest and easiest imbarkation and disembarkation that we have ever experienced! It was great! We had a great time that flew by!

Enjoyed your review! My daughter and I are going on the Legend July 1.

Our first Carnival cruise... We are doing the cave tubing, but that is all we are going to try because I don't want to be late either!!!

Archived