Taxis in Brazil.

Miss Jolly

I have read of these taxi fares: Taxi Fare; Special Taxi Fare; Luxury Taxi Fare and Radio Taxi Fare. Could someone please explain what each of these are? Also, what time does the fare become a Night Fare please? :confused:

You may have read of such taxi fares in relation to certain big cities in Brazil, not all of Brazil as your post title reads.

Regular licensed (yellow) cabs use a meter. There are 2 meter settings. Setting #1 is for daytime use. Setting #2 kicks in for those entering the cab after 9 pm until 6am. Setting #2 is about 17% greater than #1.

The good thing about these cabs is that the meter moves very slowly in stopped traffic so getting stopped in traffic is not costly as it is in some European cities (Paris). Cabs are peermitted to charge R$1 or 2 for each large suitcase. Tipping is neither required nor expected. Just round up to the next R$.

What you refer to as "luxury cabs"are neither cabs or particularly luxurious. They are simply the analog to Argentine remises. They operate by a preset charge based upon distance only and not time. The cars do tend to be cleaner and newer. The rides are considerably more expensive than a regular yellow cab - on the order of 50% more for the same ride. True "luxury limosines are few and far between in Brasil, esp Rio where one is rarely seen in large part because it's tough for a big car, let alone a stretch limo, to negotiate the narrow streets.

Most all yellow and "luxury" cabs have radios in the sense that the driver will have a cell if not a 2 way system to a host office. In Argentina (Bs As) the term radio cab refers only to a cab that has a 2 way radio to an office which provides ride requests to the drivers which subscribe to that company's radio system. A pax may call the office to request a cab. There is a record made of that call so if something is left in the cab or goes wrong, the driver is known. That provides an element of safety. There is a modest charge for calling a radio cab. You can also hail radio cabs on the street in Bs As, but obviously no record in the central office is entered.

Edited by pmacher61

Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful information. I certainly appreciate this. May I please ask what are the"special" taxi fares?

May I please ask what a "special taxi fare" is? Or where you read/heard of a taxi fare referred to as "special"? With almost 2 decades of annual travel in Brazil under my belt, I know of regular taxis (in most cities/towns), pre-paid taxis (in Rio, at the airport) , and private transport/car/van services in Brazil.

Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful information. I certainly appreciate this. May I please ask what are the"special" taxi fares?

About 50% more than regular metered cabs.

A special cab from GIG to Leblon is about R$90. The special cab windows/ booths in the secure area of the GIG terminal will negotiate price somewhat. A metered cab is about R$55 depending on traffic.

About 50% more than regular metered cabs.

A special cab from GIG to Leblon is about R$90. The special cab windows/ booths in the secure area of the GIG terminal will negotiate price somewhat. A metered cab is about R$55 depending on traffic.

So you are saying that "Special Taxi" is the same as those at Rio's airport that most refer to as "pre-paid" (because you pay inside the terminal and bring the receipt out to the driver)?

And what you refer to as "a metered cab" is a regular yellow Rio taxi (of the type that one can get outside the terminal) ?

So you are saying that "Special Taxi" is the same as those at Rio's airport that most refer to as "pre-paid" (because you pay inside the terminal and bring the receipt out to the driver)?

And what you refer to as "a metered cab" is a regular yellow Rio taxi (of the type that one can get outside the terminal) ?

Yes.

Hello,

Out of curiosity, I emailed the Sheraton in Rio and asked if they arranged for transfers from GIG to their hotel.

They got back to me right away and said they have pick up car service, which I think is a private transport/car of sorts. It costs R$195,00 and is offered for a maximum of 03 people, depending on how many bags we have. In case we needed a bigger car, the service would cost R$234,00. The driver will be at the arrival gate with our name written on a board. We have the option of paying the driver in American or Brazilian currency or with a credit card at the Car Service help desk, which I am assuming is at the hotel.

In your opinion, are these average rates for "pick up car service"?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Out of curiosity, I emailed the Sheraton in Rio and asked if they arranged for transfers from GIG to their hotel.

They got back to me right away and said they have pick up car service, which I think is a private transport/car of sorts. It costs R$195,00 and is offered for a maximum of 03 people, depending on how many bags we have. In case we needed a bigger car, the service would cost R$234,00. The driver will be at the arrival gate with our name written on a board. We have the option of paying the driver in American or Brazilian currency or with a credit card at the Car Service help desk, which I am assuming is at the hotel.

In your opinion, are these average rates for "pick up car service"?

Thanks in advance.

The Sheraton is on the edge of Leblon. A regular metered cab would cost no more than R$ 60 from GIG. See post #8 above.

A special cab from GIG to the hotel would run no more than R$100. The rates you are quoting are for the highly overpriced hotel rates. Is it a stretch limo with wifi and an open bar?

Edited by pmacher61