Fun in the Sun

Kport41

I'm looking for some advise for our day in St. Martin. We'll be there the first week of March and I've been looking at the following locations for some fun in the sun. I have it narrowed down to 4.

1. Pinel Island

2. Pedro's

3. Pirate Beach Bar and Grill

4. Kakao Beach Bar

Basically, we are looking for: a nice beach area that's not too overcrowded, a spot where we can have some drinks, maybe some music, and the whole clothing optional thing really doesn't bother us at all (when in Rome...).

We are in our 30's and just want to have a fun day at the beach!

If anyone has some input or advise on these spots, that would be fantastic!

If you want to go the c/o route, why not park yourselves on the Club Orient portion itself. This is the least commercialized part of the beach since Club O does not allow outside vendors on it's portion. And the Perch Bar on Club O has 2/1 specials from 12:30 to 1:30 PM. Nothing beats standing on line with a whole bunch of people wearing nothing but a tan and a smile discussing things while waiting for your drinks.

The ultimate relaxation.

As far as the places you mention, Pinel Island is a small island off the tip of Orient Bay which can be accessed by a small ferry that runs on island time. Pedros is a small beach bar with good ribs located on the outer fringe of Club O, on the other side of the SIGN and the rocks. The Pirate has good service and reasonable food prices just up the beach from Pedros. Kakao's is in the middle of the beach and has lots of water sports activities. Kakao is one of the big five, owned by the same interests and is expensive. You don't have to park yourselves at Kakao to use their stuff.

Ed's photorama of the island, taken while he parasailed over the beach.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Pinel will be more effort than the Orient Bars you mentioned as you would have to take the ferry that is (as Booper put it) "on Island time".

The closer you get to Club Orient the less the crowds, so Pedro's or Pirate's would be good choices. Personally I stay away from the "Big 5" beacuse of price and crowds. We did have a less than stellar experience once at Pirate's, waited over an hour for food order. But that was just one time out of 3 visits there.

Thanks Booper,

That link to the panoramic view was very helpful. Your link was the first one to work for me. I had tried to access it from other threads, but the links did not work for some reason.

I think we will either setup at Club O or The Pirate. We are getting ready to set sail on Celebrity Solstice. First time on Celebrity - we are usually on Princess. We are looking forward to the stop in St. Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back in January. I love absolutely loved Pinel island. We took a taxi to the Culdesac about $30 from Philipsburg. You need to make arrangements for the taxi driver to come back to get you. No taxi stands there. It took about 30 minutes from the cruise docks to get there.

Once there you take a water taxi-ferry for $7 round trip. They only run on the hour from 10 to 4. 15 minutes to Pinel on Ferry.

Once there just plop your stuff on the sand. Beach chairs are 2 for 20. We bought them but next time I would not. At the most there was 30 people on island the whole day.

Two resturants are on the island but if you want to eat good food nice and cheap at the culde sac there is a nice little food stand with beer soda and food. The three of us ate and drank for $15 USD

Snorkling, swimming there was beautiful.

No one lives on island and there are no road just foot paths. We walked all over and just could not believe how beautiful and totally undeveloped this island is and I hope will remian.

There is a gift shop of sorts. King Tom has items for sale hanging from the trees. Birds in trees hanging in an out of the wind chimes.

I can't even begin to explain the beauty of this island. I am so glad we went island hopping. Would love to hear if you went.

And the Perch Bar on Club O has 2/1 specials from 12:30 to 1:30 PM. Nothing beats standing on line with a whole bunch of people wearing nothing but a tan and a smile discussing things while waiting for your drinks.

Happy Hour at the Perch has changed - now it is 2:30 to 3:30, apparently catering to folks who stay at Club Orient.

Happy Hour at the Perch has changed - now it is 2:30 to 3:30, apparently catering to folks who stay at Club Orient.

Haven't heard from anyone in favor of this. Simply, the new management at CO is looking for a way to boost revenue.

Word is that Andy and Cheryl are doing HH at Baywatch from 11:30 - 12:30. Also, seem to remember a place or two in that area of the beach where you could find $2 beers all day long.

I'd still do the beach chairs at CO and take a pareo for the beer runs. Hopefully, the management will see the light before too long. With their markup and the Euro exchange, they are still making money selling drinks 2-4-1.

Archived