How walkable is Nassau?

bUU

Can one walk from the cruise pier to, and then around, Paradise Island? Is the route walkable, and relatively safe? How about in the other direction, to and from the Zoo?

I know they have busses, cabs and ferries, but I'd rather walk if the walk is pleasant, just to get my exercise in. I'm aiming for about 4-5 miles of walking each day. (At home, an 8 mile walk to the mall is a decent amount of exercise; a 3 mile walk is only marginally-acceptable.)

During daylight hours, it is very safe to walk around town, even to the Zoo. You'll find many people strolling along Bay Street and the area's surrounding.

The walk from the pier to Paradise Island isn't quite as nice, but it's doable. You'll have to walk a couple miles east, then cross the bridge, which is a bit of a hike itself.

Again, it's walkable. You'll pass a seedier part of town, but it's not unsafe in the daytime.

I'd take the ferry from the Pier to Paradise Island, then do my walking when I got there. There's a nice walk towards the Cloisters/Versaille Gardens that will give you some exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

scubagirl,

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...

1.How far is it from the cruiseship dock to the zoo?

2.How long do you think it would take to walk there?

3.Is the zoo in the vicinity of the water tower and Queens staircase?

4.Location of the zoo and water tower in proximity to Paradise Island?

5.Do public buses run to Paradise Island/Atlantis?

6.Is there a grocery store that sells six packs of beer in the vicinity of the cruiseship dock?

7.Do you know of any good websites that have free detailed maps you can download or at least check out. ( I guess I should have ask this question first...then maybe I could find the answers to most of my questions)

Although...I have been doing alot of reasearch...there doesn't seem to be as much info on Nassau as I would have expected. And the maps I've seen so far haven't really answered any of my questions mostly because their not to scale...so it's hard to tell how far anything is. Plus they don't list some of the attractions I'm interested in.

I would appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

scubagirl,

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...

1.How far is it from the cruiseship dock to the zoo?

About 3/4 miles

2.How long do you think it would take to walk there?

Depends on if you are a walker or stroller - I'd say 1/2 hour, since you'll want to stroll along the esplanade.

3.Is the zoo in the vicinity of the water tower and Queens staircase?

Not really, the Water Tower and Staircase are in Central Nassau, the Zoo is at Arawak Cay.

4.Location of the zoo and water tower in proximity to Paradise Island?

Paradise Island is across the harbour from the cruise dock in Nassau, the tower and zoo are in Nassau. To connect back and forth from PI to Nassau, you can use a ferry, or cab across the bridge, (the bridges are about 2 miles east of the dock).

5.Do public buses run to Paradise Island/Atlantis?

Public Buses run from downtown Nassau to the base of the Bridge connecting Paradise Island and nassau. Then you would have to Hike across the bridge, (600 yards long I believe) and then walk up to Atlantis (about another 10 minute walk) You should just take a cab, or ferry $3pp one way.

6.Is there a grocery store that sells six packs of beer in the vicinity of the cruiseship dock?

Yes, there are liqour stores every few feet in Nassau, or you can go to the City Market (on the Wharf across from the ferryboats) A six pack will be cheaper there. In the Liquor store, you'll pay about $2 a bottle for beer.

Not much less in a grocery store. A case of beer runs about $34 in Nassau.

7.Do you know of any good websites that have free detailed maps you can download or at least check out.

http://www.bahamasgp.com/islp-maps.html#

The Commercial Map is a good indicator, as well as the downtown Map.

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/maps/

Here's a directory of maps on my website.

I placed my reply in your request above

Here's a link to a walking tour.. it will help locating the tower and staircase.

http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Walkingtour.html

If theres something specfic that you can't find, let me know - I'll try to help

scubagirrl@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived