Info about renting a good quality ATV in Philipsburg

snorkelman

I spent about 5 months seeking information about where to rent an ATV when I visited St. Maarten on a cruise. I found the information dated and incomplete, so I decided that after I returned I would post my personal experience.

My goals were to rent a good quality ATV with easy access to the cruise terminal.

I ended up finding the "Chinese man" that others refer to on these boards. He has very good quality ATVs. This is a big difference when you see beat-up ATVs that can barely manage to get up hills.

Here is a picture of the ATV that I rented

August2009589-1.jpg

My wife and I rode on this ATV together with no problems. We traveled the entire island, and I even got it up to 80 km/hr on a flat stretch, so it has power.

This particular rental shop was catering to hotel guests and also cruise ship personnel when we arrived, so that gives you an idea as to the quality and price/value of this outfit.

Also, the owner made a big point of showing me that he has proof of insurance. He told me that you should ask to see such proof because most other ATV rentals in Phillipsburg apparently do not always have such insurance, even if they charge you for it!

The contact information is as follows:

Mr. A TE

#2 Goldfinche Rd.

Point Blanche, St. Marten (10 minute walk from the cruise terminal, but you can get a ride from his contact at the pier and he even brought me back to the ship after I was done with the rental).

Tel: +599 542 4407

Fax +599 542 4409

Cell +599 523 2616

email: houchinte@yahoo.com.tw

The owner is actually from Taiwan and very nice and prides himself on keeping his ATVs is good condition. I saw them being washed when I returned mine, and they are all stored in a garage, not outside in the rain like other places. I would highly recommend him. I paid about $95, which included the optional insurance, and I didn't have to worry about refilling the gas. I should note that although we drove across the entire island, we never came close to running out of gas.

He even gave us a map and suggested a route to see the island so the sun would not be in our eyes and so we would time the heavy traffic issues to least impact our trip.

In the event that you do not contact him in advance (and just show up at the cruise terminal on a ship) here is how you can find him.

Exit the ship and walk to the end of the pier and you will see signs that direct you to car rentals (to the right as you exit).

August2009559-1.jpg

August2009560-1.jpg

When you arrive at the car rental building, you will see several competing car rental places.

August2009561-1.jpg

Only one rents ATVs. It is the one located at "Europe car." However, when I arrived, the office was empty and one of the salemen at the car rental places next door told me that it had been closed for two days, and that I could rent a jeep from him instead. I insisted that I wanted an ATV and the salesperson told me that he would take me to the Chinese man. I hopped in and about a mile away he brought me to Mr. ATE. Mr. ATE told me that he pays $10 for the salesperson to bring him customers, so if you are really cheap, I suppose that you may be able to save $10 if you walk from the pier to the ATV rental building.

If you want to walk, you simply exit the cruise terminal (where the taxis exit) and the road that is right there is called Juancho Yrausquin Blvd. You must either go left or right onto this road. You will turn right onto it. The first street that you will come to is called Sand Piper Drive. Pass that and the next road that you come to is called Grounddove Rd. Turn left there and the road forks and the right side stays the same name but the left side is called Goldfinch Rd. THAT is where the ATV building is. Basically right there. I think there is some kind of market next door, but you should see the garage door open and lots of ATVs parked inside and outside the garage.

I would recommend that you contact Mr. ATE in advance to make sure that he is open the day you arrive and to make a smooth transition. He will give you instructions as how to operate the ATV. Pay particular attention to the instructions about the parking break.

Enjoy!

Archived