Wind Surf SCUBA diving

NewSCUBADon

My wife and I are just completing our PADI certifications preparatory to our first cruise with Windstar, the Mayan Riviera cruise, Jan. 16. Don't want to schlep around a bunch of gear from airport to airport if possible so I was wondering what they provide that is included in the cost of their own diving itineraries and the condition. Also, what gear do they have at extra cost and what would I most regret not having bought in advance and/or brought when we reach the bottom?

Thanks, in advance.

Don't schlep the gear, except for a RX mask, if you use one. Their equipment is in good condition - I have used it several times. They provide all the basics: M-S-F,BCD,Regulators (octopus back up, not air2) and wetsuit (shortie). All this is included in the cost of the dive. No knives, or cameras. If you use a dive computer, you could bring it because their set up is just the depth and pressure gauges. Not using a dive computer is no big deal because the dives are "follow the dive master" style. Hope this helps.

Jim

Thanks for your reply. Yep. It will help and I was wondering about the light and other "unusual" accessories. My limited experience with a couple of DSDs has taught me the colors disappear pretty quickly as you descend. Really looking forward to this cruise.

Thanks again.

We are going on the March 13th Mayan Cruise. We were just in Cozumel last month at an all-inclusive resort and went diving on five days. In Cozumel the "taxis" from the airport all charge the same price by location. For a few dollars tip everything is carried for you. We have our own equipment--it gets "tuned up" every six months or so at our local dive shop in Michigan. The equipment on board might be nice, but you may not be comfortabe with it. Also, since this is not a cruise where dressy or formal wear is required, you should only have one suitcase per person, so a rolling dive bag is no big deal, IMHO. Plus, we sometimes get cold on a week long dive trip, so we need our long wet suit and sometimes even our hoods and vests.

Pam and Ken

Pamela,

Thanks for your reply. Since we are just finishing our training, any gear beyond our masks, fins and snorkels that I bring down there I will have to buy before we leave. Your insight is appreciated as we have no idea what to expect and our emails to the home office have met with the dismissive, "They will have everything you need on board." Yeah, but will I have to buy an $40 pair of gloves for $160?

I'm sure a week's worth of diving even in warm, sub-tropical waters, will have different demands than our DSD dive and I want my wife to enjoy every minute so the information about the wet suits is important. I was wondering whether you know what of the incidentals (safety gear like whistles, beacons, etc., and lights, gloves, booties, even underwater cameras?) they may have available and at what fees?

Good luck on your own trip.

Thanks,

Don

I was wondering whether you know what of the incidentals (safety gear like whistles, beacons, etc., and lights, gloves, booties, even underwater cameras?) they may have available and at what fees?

Don, I didn't see any provision to rent anything at an additional fee. There is a whistle on the standard equipment they provide. I don't think there was a beacon. There was a disposable underwater camera available in the gift shop (around $15 I think so you could do better to bring one). They didn't provide lights. The wet suits (shorties) are provided at no charge to those who want them. I found the water comfortable without one but some wanted the shortie. If you want lights, gloves or booties then you should bring them.

Don,

The standard issue on the ship is full foot fins. Booties generally work only in the open heel type of fin, so don't take them if you plan on using the ship's fins. On the temp question, I would suggest a .5 mill skin suit, over which you can wear their shortie. The skin will take up far less room in your luggage and give you more options for reacting to water temp as you go through the week.

We leave on Jan 6 for the Wind Surf St. Thomas-Cozumel, so I will test the water for you!

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Appreciate somebody else getting thier toes wet first. Got our final open water dive completed New Year's Day in a local quarry... bbbbrrrrrrr... The idea of relatively warm, clear, colorful tropical waters has really started to get us both excited.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Don

Archived