L.A. airport or LongBeach airport-going to San Pedro Pier

mafemass

We are sailing out of San Pedro Pier. Are we better off flying into L.A or Long Beach airport? I would imagine hotels in Long Beach would be less money than L.A. hotels. From either of these cities, how do we get to the Port?

I asked this same question a while ago. Responses were that if you can fly into Long Beach, it would be less confusing than LAX and closer to San Pedro. Hotels in Long Beach are better than San Pedro, even the Queen Mary is thee as a hotel.

In San Pedro, the Sheraton is probably the best. We are cruising out of San Pedro, but not until Jan of 06.

Grace

Long Beach airport is a little closer. At San Pedro. Sheraton and Best Western are good choices. If you like Mexican food and we do. Eat dinner at the Green Onion.. Hotels provide courtesy bus to pier no problem.:)

Hi I live here in the Long Beach area. And I would say Long Beach Airport, it is a nice smaller airport , alot less stress, LAX can be a zoo. There is transportation available to the port from there taxi, shuttles. Are you coming in early a day or two prior to cruise or staying after cruise ? Did you want to see something of the area or just basically get to and from the port ? I am listing a web site for you for the Long Beach Airport , has lots of good information.

http://www.longbeach.gov/airport/airline_travelers/ground

The previous poster mention some hotels in San Pedro, I would agree with that. As for Long Beach there are several nice ones down near the port area, and of coarse the Queen Mary is a hotel also. Just be a little careful where you book your hotel there are some areas that arn't so nice, just stay in and around the Ocean Blvd. Queensway Ave. near the port you will be ok. There are a couple hotels near the LB airport as well about 2 blocks from the airport. If you wanted to do that, all depends on what you have in mind.

Have a great trip.

Cori

We will be flying in the nite before the sailing. Being in Chicago, winter weather is very hard to predict. We are best off flying in the nite before. Being near the pier or airport would be best and easier for us. How far is the Long Beach airport from the Pier? Do most hotels pick up from the airport and would they also take to the Pier?

I guess I should check out the website that Cori posted.

Thank you.

Iklixits

I noticed that you mentioned the Sheraton or Best Western in San Pedro. Do

you have knowledge of the Best Western. I have that booked for pre cruise on 1/15/05 and I am looking for someone with personal experience with BW.

Thanks

Carol

Dear Carol,

The Sheraton is nicer, Best Western is cheaper by a few dollars. We stayed pre cruise in November one night. Nice complimentary breakfast. Not much else.

Not as good for post cruise no facilities. Rooms basic, small hotel limited parking as cruisers leave car in parking area with permission of hotel while cruising.

Convenient for overnight. I think Sheraton is 10 dollars more per night.

Neighborhood ok across the street from the pier and half a mile or so from ships.

You cant walk need to take free courtesy bus .

Depending on airline schedules, the Long Beach airport is very easy and stress free. Cab fare into Long Beach is about $18; The Renaissance is a nice hotel in Long Beach at about $120 per night. It is within walking distance of the marina shops and restraurants. There is also a trolley to places of interest, including the Queen Mary. The port is about a 20 minute cab ride and cost about $20 as I recall. The port back to the Long Beach airport is about a $35 cab ride and takes about 35 minutes. All of it is quite easy.

IK4XTIS

Thanks for the reply.. When I checked the rates were like $40.00-$50.00

difference. Not that its a big deal but if its clean that all I need. But I will check the Sheraton again. I had read some reviews on TRipadvisor and none of the hotels there come out to good. But it's only for the night. Anyway thanks again.

Carol

Hi, if you just want a hotel for the one night pre cruise , there is a Marriot right near the LB airport, it is called Airport Marriot Long Beach, I think they probably have a shuttle that goes to the airport it is only like 2 blocks from LB airport. Then you would need to shuttle (pay) or taxi to the port in the morning. I don't know of any hotels in the LB area that have free shuttles to the SP port. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Archived