Expedition ship to Antarctica--WHEN????

GeneBK

My wife and I are planning an expedition cruise to Antarctica--one of the small ships with zodiacs, so passengers actually land and explore a bit on shore.

Most offerings are in December, January, February.....some in March. Are there any considerations that favor early or late? Migration of animals, weather patterns, temperatures, etc.????? Recommendations on best time?

Thanks

My wife and I are planning an expedition cruise to Antarctica--one of the small ships with zodiacs, so passengers actually land and explore a bit on shore.

Most offerings are in December, January, February.....some in March. Are there any considerations that favor early or late? Migration of animals, weather patterns, temperatures, etc.????? Recommendations on best time?

Thanks

We were there in February and saw lots of wildlife, but you will see that anytime, except the ages of the chicks would vary. We saw lots of ice, but have heard the earlier in the season, the more ice you see.

Temps were moderate for us, mostly in the 30s and 40s, weather is totally unpredictable. Go early if you want more ice and adult animals, later if you want less ice and more chicks. It was an awesome experience and you will have a great time no matter when you go.

Archived