St Martin tour guides

pjs9876

Two pieces of information.

We used Joyce Prince for a private tour. My Mom can walk a little and we took a Pride GoGO travel scooter (I broke it into 2 pieces for loading). We enjoyed our tour and Joyce was very nice.

As we went to meet her I spotted a van loading wheelchair passengers. I asked for a flyer. I do NOT know whether the experience was positive. I am simply giving contact numbers.

Accessible Ventures

cel (599) 524-9204

(599) 588-4343

fax (599) 542-6086

email accessiblrventures@hotmail.com

website www.accessibleventuresofsxm.bravehost.com

I'm looking at using Joyce for the group I'm with. What places did you go to that you'd recommend? I'm looking for photographic places and places with neat cultural stuff and things everybody would enjoy.

Thanks!

Ours was a private tour. I told her I wanted to "go to a high vantage point", Margot for a while, have a fresh coconut to eat/drink , find local artwork, and to please point out the Brothels! I am a female and knew they existed but I had never viewed a real one.

She will do whatever you specify. I have been to the island a couple of times but on this trip I was trying to provide more non-tourist pursuits for my Mother and her friend.

We drove up the hill that is fairly near the ships and I took a photo to show the ships in the harbor. We drove in land from the old salt ponds and into the hills where their were lots of housing (this did not interest me and the roads were bumpy with lots of twists and turns).

She let us out at the market in Margot. Take your handicapped sticker and it will make parking much easier. We liked the spice vendor, and there was a stand serving chilled coconuts. He opens the coconut and you drink the inside with a straw. Then take it back to him and he cuts open the inside. It was very different from the dry coconuts from US stores. I also bought artwork. Joyce tried to take us to a home of an artist but the lady was not at home. She found bathrooms frequently for my Mother.

We returned on the far side of the island by Orient Beach. That area is lovely and I would have liked more time there. We went to Paradise Point on a hill and I took pictures looking toward the ocean.

And yes, we drove by the brothels and I have a picture to prove it! LOL

Joyce and I had agreed on a time and place to meet and she was going to call and get my credit card for a deposit. She forgot to call but kept the appointment not knowing if I would show or not. Just tell her exactly what you are looking for and she will taylor the trip for you.

We also used Joyce for a private tour of St. Martin. She met us at the agreed on time and even helped with DWs wheelchair. She took us to see everything we expressed an interest in. When DW left a package in the van (DW not listening, so I can blame her) I wrote it off as lost forever, but there was an email from Joyce asking for my mailing address and she sent the package immediately. Wouldn't hesitate to use her services next time in St. Martin.

Could you please tell me the cost of the tour you took? I also need to use a Pride Go for my walking feet.

ann brown

Hopefully her prices have gone down some because they were out of my range. I looked at doing a tour with her for my January cruise. It was just my mom & I. My mom had never been to St. Maarten so I wanted to get a local guide for a tour. My mom didn't want to be part of a group because she cannot walk and it takes time for her to transfer from her wheelchair into a vehicle. She didn't want to feel like she was holding up the tour. I had read about Ms. Prince here so emailed her about costs for a private 4-hr island tour. She quoted $300 per person. I thought it was a typo since I had booked a 7-hr private tour of St. Lucia for $350 and a 5-hr private tour of Antigua for $275. She confirmed that that price would be $600 for two. I didn't verify whether the price would still be $600 if we had two people or ten. The price wouldn't be too bad for a large group, but it would have blown my budget with only two people. We ended up renting a car for under $100 and driving around the island on our own.

• 1 month later...
Hopefully her prices have gone down some because they were out of my range. I looked at doing a tour with her for my January cruise. It was just my mom & I. My mom had never been to St. Maarten so I wanted to get a local guide for a tour. My mom didn't want to be part of a group because she cannot walk and it takes time for her to transfer from her wheelchair into a vehicle. She didn't want to feel like she was holding up the tour. I had read about Ms. Prince here so emailed her about costs for a private 4-hr island tour. She quoted $300 per person. I thought it was a typo since I had booked a 7-hr private tour of St. Lucia for $350 and a 5-hr private tour of Antigua for $275. She confirmed that that price would be $600 for two. I didn't verify whether the price would still be $600 if we had two people or ten. The price wouldn't be too bad for a large group, but it would have blown my budget with only two people. We ended up renting a car for under $100 and driving around the island on our own.

Sorry, I don't recall the exact price we paid, but for sure it was under $100 for the two of us, maybe 45 each. DW doesn't remember either, but she thinks it was way less than $100 total.

Kyriecat:

Can you tell me what company you used for your car rental??? Were you pleased?

Thank you!

I used Budget car rental. If I am remembering correctly, there is a Hertz and a local company right at the port. It was less than 1/4 mile walk from where the ship docked. I've used Budget three times now and have only had one issue. When I got in the car, the check engine light was on. The clerk tried to pass it off as no big deal, but I insisted on another vehicle and got one. You can book online to reserve your car but I've heard that they usually have enough vehicles available to cover walk-ups. I think I paid about $85 for a Toyota Corolla. That included the insurance fee. The island is fairly easy to navigate, although traffic will back up quickly when the bridge by Simpson Bay is raised. If you plan to go over to Maho Beach to watch the planes come in, I recommend doing that early instead of on the way back to the ship. I've been stuck in traffic for 45 minutes without moving because of that bridge.

Sorry, I don't recall the exact price we paid, but for sure it was under $100 for the two of us, maybe 45 each. DW doesn't remember either, but she thinks it was way less than $100 total.
WOW!!! That was a good price. I would have gone with her if she had quoted me that low. Did you book very far in advance? I wonder if she quoted me high because I was trying to book about 6 months in advance for January, which is a popular cruise time for St. Maarten. She might not have wanted to confirm a tour for two at a low price when there was still a good chance she could get a larger group. I didn't think to ask for another quote closer to sail date to see if the price had gone down. I know my mom would like to take another Caribbean cruise. If we do, I'll check tour prices closer to sail date to see if they are lower.

Archived