Grandeur of the Seas September 16-25

hds249

Looking forward to my very first cruise in September. I have signed myself and husband up for the meet and mingle and hope we get at least 23 members to join us. We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary!

Since this is our first time cruising we are open to pointers and suggestions! Leaving from Baltimore, not sure whether to take a limo or drive and leave the car.

We are Getting Out There! Finally! icon7.gif

Congrats on your first cruise and your anniversary:) . You will love it and be hooked forever. We will be boarding Granduer and waving to you as you leave. We go on 9/25. This will be my first time on Granduer we've been on Voyager and Mariner both were unbelievably gorgeous and tons of fun! I'm hoping this ship will be the same.

We are driving to the pier and parking, I guess you'll have to call around and find out what the cost will be from wherever in Maryland you live, and compare it to the $50 you'll pay to park for 5 days. I believe unless you are extremely close parking at the pier is the way to go unless cost is not an issue.

I decided to respond to your post as when I posted about my cruise nobody responded:( because I guess it's too early for them to get excited. I on the otherhand I am still excited about booking our cruise even if it's more than 7 months away. I love cruising:D .

Thanks for your reply. I believe that once we return to Baltimore we will wish the car was there so we can just go, but I was thinking limo so we can "party to the port!" :D I guess we could wait till we get on board! I have no doubt that I will be hooked on cruising, I have been wanting to go forever. For a first cruise we went for a suite, I am sure that will change for the next cruise. :o I wanted to go all the way the first time and be absolutely spoiled rotten, my DH is great at spoiling me, I am such a lucky girl! ( he would say he is the one spoiled )

We will indeed wave to you as we leave the ship, sad that it is over until the next time!

You are soooo right about a suite, you will be spoiled forever. We will be in JS 7156 aft. We haven't done the aft thing for a long time. Our first cruise when we were babes we had an inside cabin that just had enough space to turn around and turned into a black whole once the light was turned out :eek: so we spent a lot of time out of the cabin. All the following cruises have been suites and what a difference a balcony and space makes!

If you're going to part to the ship the limo is the way to go:D. Whatever you decide have BIG FUN!!!:D What part of MD are you in? I live in St. Mary's County.

I live in Aberdeen, Harford County and work in Cecil County! I appreciate that in your opinion I did the right thing booking a cabin. My aunt who cruises all the time said it was a waste cause no one stays in the cabin except to sleep. I truly believe my early mornings and sunsets will be spent on the balcony and that will make it well worth the added expense.

I have been so excited about my cruise I even put together a "countdown calendar." I went to http://www.webshots.com and searched for photos of our ship and then placed everything in a publisher file, made cut lines and added information. I have it hanging on my wall in my office and also in my home. Our best friends are also going with us in an ajoining suite. I sent them a calendar as well. We are enjoying them so much. Speaking of the adjoining room, I hear the balcony will open up between our suites, is that true? From the photos it appears that you can see through them anyway but I think it would be better to have them open.

Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate the communication. By the way if you go to webshots they have some photos of cabin 7150. That should be close to yours, maybe the same category? My cabin is 8514.

Happy Cruising! Thanks again for your reply! :)

Hi hds249,

The suite is a great idea and you can't go wrong. You can show your aunt the beautiful pictures of the sun rising and setting, you lounging on your personal balcony napping or reading or just enjoying the view and te ocean breezes, or you dining or sipping champagne with friends. Believe me you will love it. As to the partitions on the balconies...if they are like the ones on the voyager class ships they are panels that provide privacy but are opague and can only be removed with the permisssion of some ship official. However, I have heard that if you make the request to your cabin steward he may be able to arrange it thru the proper channels and remember to reward them if they get the job done. I hear it is rarely done. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Also another tip: If you would like another lounge chair or anything just ask for it nicely and like magic it appears:) . Good Crusin'

• 2 weeks later...
Looking forward to my very first cruise in September. I have signed myself and husband up for the meet and mingle and hope we get at least 23 members to join us. We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary!

Since this is our first time cruising we are open to pointers and suggestions! Leaving from Baltimore, not sure whether to take a limo or drive and leave the car.

We are Getting Out There! Finally! icon7.gif

This is the best idea for getting to the cruiseline or airport on time and with no hassle. Rent a room at a Hotel that offers parking for the week and a complimentary ride for the hotel to the airport and picks you up at the end of the cruise. This is always part of the cost of the room and is so well worth it. Normally it would be a hotel close to the airport or the cruiseline. The hotels in the Boston area offer this and your car will be safe in their back parking lot.

• 6 months later...
Guest BeckyThane
My aunt who cruises all the time said it was a waste cause no one stays in the cabin except to sleep. I truly believe my early mornings and sunsets will be spent on the balcony and that will make it well worth the added expense.

Hi, hds!

I figured I'd go ahead and reply since your departure is delayed by Hurricane Ophelia -- maybe you'll see this after all!

DH and I had a suite w/ balcony on our first cruise, and we'll never sail any other way again! We spent the vast majority of our shipboard time there. There was never any struggling to find a deck chair by the pool... just open the doors and there you are! We had breakfast on the balcony every morning, and loved watching us coming into each port. In fact, we so enjoyed our balcony that we only saw two of the shows on our seven night cruise. We much preferred to return to the room and chill out, watching the waves and the stars roll past.;)

Hope you have a great time!

Costa Atlantica -- 3/05

Archived