GAP Expedition or Polar Star

Queen of DaNile

Polar Star has cancelled the rest of the voyages to Antarctica for 2011. I went on it over the christmas holiday and LOVED it. It was great, people, food, etc.

We will be going to Antarctica again (couple more years), and if the Polar Star is still doing the trip, then we will be booking the Polar Star again!

Hi there, I'm looking for info on the ms Expedition too - but for an Arctic cruise. I found a bit of info on tripadvisor but it seems odd that there is nothing here on cc. I'd prefer info from people who do cruise on how the ship compares.

Haven't been here for a long time due to health hassles but am up and ready to cruise again. Last cruise was 2009 to the Antarctica on the Prince Albert II and have to say it was the best trip of any sort that I have ever done. When we did the trip the price for the Explorer (before its demise) and the PAII were very similar which we were surprised about.

Antarctica stays with you and the PAII made what could have been gruelling trips feel pampered.

If you find anything on the Expedition, I'd love to hear it:)

Queen of Da Nile (love that name) kinda reminds me of last year when my auntie asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving and i promptly answered cruising Da Nile (which we were)........LOL.

Anyway, any questions you have about the Polar Star or the trip in general, please feel free to ask away and I will do my best to help you out. It is true that when people travel to Antarctica they end up being 'ambassadors' ......you want people to have the joy of going there, and you want people to continue the efforts to keep it pristine, and safe! so again, ask away!

I will cruise on the Polar Star in 2011 but in Spitzbergen, this coming August. I didn't know about the Polar Star accident in Antarctica, I'm glad everybody was OK and I really hope the repairs will be done for the summer! ;) I have found very little about personal experiences on this ship so I would be very interested to know more about your experience, mygreyhound66. However this is maybe off topic, should I start another discussion, or is it OK to continue here?

Hi there

I've just found that the ms expedition does not have an ice rated hull and so have taken it off my list for cruising to the Arctic. It also has had a few engine problems. Not as big an issue for us as the Arctic circle is more accesible than Antarctica but it was something that I noticed when looking for a cruise to antarctica - I was surprised how many ships that went were not ice rated, and I don't mean the big ships.

Mygreyhound 66 - I could ask a million questions but will do more research before firing away:;)but I'll start with what would you do differently? Like what did you take with that you didn't need, what should you have had that you didn't bring. I have the packing lists but would like to hear from a sister Jersey gal! As a habitual overpacker, I'd like to make this trip as streamline as possible.

Also, where did you stay in Ushuaia - did you make the reservations yourself, was it easy to do the transfers on your own?

Thanks.

Queen of Da Nile, omg - another jerseyite, how terrific!!! since i love doing all the research around my trips, I could drive you insane with all my notes!!! however, we stayed in ushuaia (the first time was the Lennox hotel - lovely, but this time the price was ridiculously high) so i chose the El Viejo Lobo de Mar, a little funky looking, but i knew that it was very well located on the main street in Ush, right in the center of everything. Try to book early for the best price, i noticed that the price just kept on increasing each time i checked (i know that i shouldn't keep checking, but i always do!!). BTW, we love ushuaia, it has the feel of a frontier town! and knowing it is the end of the world, just makes it a very cool place (no pun intended). If you can, have dinner at Kaupe, it has now been several times that we dined there, and truly, it is marvellous!!! it is considered expensive by Argentinian prices, but for us, coming from the NY/NJ area prices, it was fine.....almost cheap for such a fantastic dinner, and the view!! and the wine!!! and yes, the transfers are so easy that it is almost criminal to pay extra to have them done for you. Upon arriving at the airport, walk outside to the taxi's - it is a quick ride into town, i must say that i found the taxi drivers to be very friendly, and usually knowing that i will or may need their services, i take their card and try to use them during my time in Ushuaia. Once you are in the town of Ushuaia, the port is very walkable, however, since we had luggage - we called the taxi driver to take us down to the port. It would have been a struggle for us to manage the heavy suitcase each, down the very steep road!! ps- can you say where in NJ you are located? perhaps there is a way we can connect off-line? just a thought! Heather

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our trip on Hurtigruten's Fram for it's final Antarctica cruise of the season, Ushuia to Buenos Aires, 19 days and managed to pack all we needed into carry-on so it can be done!! Enjoy your year of getting excited, it is well worth it!

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, Polar Star will not be going to Antarctica next season

Can you please tell me where you had this information? Because there are still Antarctica cruise advertised for next season on PolarStarExpedition website. Has the ship not recovered from last January accident?

I'm asking because I'm supposed to sail in Spitzbergen in August with Polar Star (cruise operated by Hurtigruten). I booked the trip last December but still haven't been able to pay anything yet, because I haven't received the booking confirmation, and since I can't find any information about the ship's repairs since the accident, I'm worrying. I have called Hurtigruten several times and they tell me there is no problem with the ship (nor my booking, and they only experience technical issues with the electronic booking process. I trust them, but I'm still worrying! ;)).

Can you please tell me where you had this information? Because there are still Antarctica cruise advertised for next season on PolarStarExpedition website. Has the ship not recovered from last January accident?

I'm asking because I'm supposed to sail in Spitzbergen in August with Polar Star (cruise operated by Hurtigruten). I booked the trip last December but still haven't been able to pay anything yet, because I haven't received the booking confirmation, and since I can't find any information about the ship's repairs since the accident, I'm worrying. I have called Hurtigruten several times and they tell me there is no problem with the ship (nor my booking, and they only experience technical issues with the electronic booking process. I trust them, but I'm still worrying! ;)).

I'd be inclined to stick with Hurtigruten because they also have MS Fram operating in Spitzbergen. As Polar Star expeditions (who they charter Polar Star from) has just gone into receivership, I suspect that Hurtigruten is still trying to find out how it will affect them.

I'd be inclined to stick with Hurtigruten because they also have MS Fram operating in Spitzbergen. As Polar Star expeditions (who they charter Polar Star from) has just gone into receivership, I suspect that Hurtigruten is still trying to find out how it will affect them.

(I had to look up "receivership" ;)) OK thank you very much for the information, even if it is not good. Yes I will stick with Hurtigruten, I do trust them, and will be happy if I end up on MS Fram, but I was quite looking forward cruising on the "older" ship. Too bad. I hope the Polar Star will be able to cruise again sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

It's becoming a bit off-topic but indeed all the Hurtigruten-operated MS Polar Star cruises this summer have been cancelled.

Since I had early information of the fate of Polar Star Expedition thanks to this board, I contacted Hurtigruten quickly and they were able to book me on one of the latest available cabins on the MS Fram, a week after my original trip. And Hurtigruten is offering a 40% discount for all stranded passengers for one of their Arctic cruises in 2011 (few spots left!) or 2012. I think it's a pretty nice gesture.

Many thanks to all the posters on this board for providing really helpful information!

Archived