Golf at Royal St Kitts

kelmac

This month, I played a round of golf at Royal St Kitts; so I thought I might give my insights related to the quality of this Caribbean course.

First, island golf is expensive; I found the cost of a round of golf booked directly with the course, compared to the cost of the ship excursion (Celebrity), was almost the same. I booked through the ship and the extra $10 I spent provided me, and five others, A/C van transportation to and from the ship.

I'm a three to five handicap golfer, so I want a real championship golf experience. Royal St Kitts was a much better golf course than I expected.

The back nine was spectacular -- similar in look and feel, to an Hawaiian course. Think, Poipu Bay in Kauai, or one of the coastal courses on the Big Island. The condition of the course was great, with fast greens, which doesn't happen on Bermuda grass courses as a rule.

I brought my own clubs, shoes and golf balls -- this saved me a bundle compared to the other guys that rented everything. The rental sets were good -- all new Taylor Made stuff and 2.0 Burner Irons and R-9 woods. If I'm going to spend that much money to play a course ($185), I want my own clubs.

My home golf experience is in the west, high altitude mountain/desert courses. Trade winds, high humidity and sea level golf can be a very humbling experience! I play 7,800 yard courses all the time at home -- 6,300 yard Island golf is all you can handle, and at Royal St Kitts the Championship tees are around 6,850 yards (that will eat your lunch).

I only made seven pars and one birdie and didn't break 80. It would take me a while to get used to that type of golf.

I played with three great guys (all from Scottland) and had a blast!

I flew into Florida three days early and played two rounds of golf before the cruise, so this made lugging my clubs around more cost effective.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will check this thread every few days.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thanks Kel!

My husband will be very interesed in this. Not sure yet if there will be a ship sponsored golf event on our trip (Explorer of the seas RC) how far is the course away from where the ship is docked?

Thanks!

Nora

Thanks Kel!

My husband will be very interesed in this. Not sure yet if there will be a ship sponsored golf event on our trip (Explorer of the seas RC) how far is the course away from where the ship is docked?

Thanks!

Nora

Hi Nora,

It should be listed in the shore excursions list online at Royal Caribbean.com

The course is about a 10 -- 15 minute drive from the ship. We had a new 12 passenger van that picked us up and returned us to the ship.

If your husband has any questions, just let me know.

Hi Kel

Thanks again. It is too early for the shore excursions to be posted yet :)

He likes to plan so I am sure he will have many.

Hi is chomping at the bit to start Golf league here (syracuse NY) but sadly we got another 4 inches of snow yesteday.

Hopefully things will get better by the 2nd week in April!

Nora

• 3 months later...
Hi Kel

Thanks again. It is too early for the shore excursions to be posted yet :)

He likes to plan so I am sure he will have many.

Hi is chomping at the bit to start Golf league here (syracuse NY) but sadly we got another 4 inches of snow yesteday.

Hopefully things will get better by the 2nd week in April!

Nora

Hi Nora,

Just got back from a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. Played Port Royal Golf Club (course the pros play the Grand Slam Tournament on) and it was similar to the St Kitts course. Loads of elevation changes and great views of the ocean.

In addition, tell your husband I got on Bethpage Black course in Long Island (Post-cruise) -- one of the highlights of the trip, for me. :)

Kel

• 1 month later...
Hi Nora,

Just got back from a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. Played Port Royal Golf Club (course the pros play the Grand Slam Tournament on) and it was similar to the St Kitts course. Loads of elevation changes and great views of the ocean.

In addition, tell your husband I got on Bethpage Black course in Long Island (Post-cruise) -- one of the highlights of the trip, for me. :)

Kel

I will move this post back up as we get closer to the winter cruise season. I've also played golf in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta if you have any Pacific coast questions.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone played the new golf course on Roatan? I'm headed there in December.

Thanks,

Roatan has a new golf course called "Black Pearl Golf Course"; it's a Pete Dye design at 7,200 yards. Celebrity (RCI) is offering a shore excursion for $165 and I would love to play this course! We will be there in a couple of weeks, but I'm not bring my sticks with me on this cruise :(

Hope someone going will play it and come back with a review!!

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a three hdcp and was worried about the quality of the course. I have heard poor reviews of some friends who have played courses while on vacation there. I'm bring my clubs as well and now even more excited about playing in St. Kitts.

Thanks for your review.

Ken

I'm a three hdcp and was worried about the quality of the course. I have heard poor reviews of some friends who have played courses while on vacation there. I'm bring my clubs as well and now even more excited about playing in St. Kitts.

Thanks for your review.

Ken

Ken,

The front nine is less than perfect, but the course gets better as you move along. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your review.

Ken

Hey Ken,

How was the golf on your cruise?

• 1 month later...

Almost one year since I played this course. Next Thanksgiving I'm cruising on the Allure of the Seas and plan on taking my clubs. This will give me a chance to play in Jamaica and Cozumel. Anyone have any experience with these two Islands for golf?

Enjoy!

Archived