Other currencies

Hi

We are of to Asia next week. What is the best way to get hold of other currencies. Does Singapore have ATM's. We will be in Vietnam Cambodia

KL and Bali though I have been to Bali numerous times so I am OK with getting money there.

I have used my St George Visa debit card in ATM's in Vietnam (not all took it though, you have to look for the Cirrus/Maestro logo) Came as a shock to see the account balance in Dong though, thought I was rich for a minute!

Can't remember what we did in Cambodia, may have gone to a bank.

For more info click here

In Singapore you will need Singapore dollars. There are money changers everywhere - just know your rates or use an ATM.

In Cambodia, Vietnam and Bali it is quite acceptable to use US dollars and private shore excursions will be quoted in USD.

In KL, you will need Malaysian Ringgits. Same deal as Singapore. The cab drivers from the port will also accept USD. Just make sure you negotiate a good deal up front of exactly what you want to do and pay at the end of the trip.

This was the case visiting Asia in June 2010.

I also used Travelex to order currencies and picked them up at local travel agent. You may need to check if this is available in your home town.

Archived