Memory Card Reader

Bought a Universal high speed Memory Card Reader/Writer yesterday. Didn't want to plug the USB cable in the back of the computer each and every time I wanted to transfer pix off the card. Do any of you have any experience with a reader? We're new into digital photography. Trying to get experience before our Alaskan cruise in May.

Have a Panasonic FZ20.

Gail

I just keep the card reader plugged in all the time so that it is always available. This seems to be the most convenient way to do it. I have a SanDisk 12-in-1 reader. It sometimes takes as much as a minute for the card to be recognized so that you can transfer files. With my previous card reader I plugged it in each time I used it but I have USB ports on my monitor so it isn't a problem. Just have to remember to "Safely remove USB Device" or you can cause damage to the card.

Agree with Judy. Just leave it plugged in. It doesn't really do anything until you put your card into the reader. Then it should show up in your computer. I never heard of a problem leaving it plugged in, but I have personally had trouble with USB ports breaking because of overuse.

Yes, be careful removing the card, or unplugging the reader (with the card in it) when the computer is on. Your reader should have instructions on how to do that with your particular computer. Good shooting!

Agree with Judy. Just leave it plugged in. It doesn't really do anything until you put your card into the reader. Then it should show up in your computer. I never heard of a problem leaving it plugged in, but I have personally had trouble with USB ports breaking because of overuse.

Yes, be careful removing the card, or unplugging the reader (with the card in it) when the computer is on. Your reader should have instructions on how to do that with your particular computer. Good shooting!

Thanks so much ya'll for your suggestions and comments. It's installed now and we transferred one memory card without any problem. It's plugged in and will be left plugged in which seems to be the easy way to do it.

The new computers come with slots for memory cards. My haven't things changed from a few years ago?

Jim, I have put the link you sent in my favorites and will spend some time there.

I have not really used the macro yet on my camera. I was using the zoom with each shot for the first few days that I used the camera. This was not good at all. I am taking better shots now but still have a long way to go. Thanks for asking.

Gail

Archived