Sydney, Nova Scotia

Hey Everyone - I have read a lot of advice about Halifax, but I am on the Carnival Victory in early October and we also stop in Syndey, Nova Scotia.

I have looked around on the Province's tourism boards and things and it just doesnt look like there is much to do there.

Has anyone been? Find anything interesting?

I would love to go whale watching, but it looks like all the boats that can take you leave from rather far away from where the boat docks.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

~Carey

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Oh, my, IMHO are you in for a surprise. We did this intinerary last year and Sydney was really one of my favorite ports. I'm trying to find an earlier post I did it.

Okay here's one in response to question re rental car:

I would go ahead and check http://www.richmondcounty.ca/tourism/index.htm (800-567-2600) to see about arranging someone to pick you up or to see if they will have car rental at the dock in Sydney. If you cannot get an answer let me know and I'll dig around some more.. I know the tourist folks at the dock last Sept. had a car rental booth and also tours to Louisbourg. IMHO you can't do justice to Cabot Trail in the time you have there considering getting car, map, keeping an eye on the clock etc. Louisbourg is wonderful, well worth the visit and takes at least 4 hrs to see thoroughly. Have bakery, place for lunch there etc.

Another one:

HALIFAX: We did the London Taxi tour with Aberdeen last fall and it was wonderful! Love that company Peggy's Cove with them should be fun.. And when you get back into town there is so much along the waterfront. We did that tour, then went to Maritime Museum and took a harbor cruise. and had wonderful lunch right on the water. There are a lot of vendors with nice souvenirs right at the dock area. It's in the building that used to be Canadian version of "Ellis Island" so if you are short of time you can pick up some goodies there (even lobster potato chips)...

SYDNEY.. actually one of my favorites. Not only did I get a great cut at the local spa (my naturally curly hair was going beserk) for $20 (Sandra at Hair Solutions). Locals have a "bazaar-type" craft fair in a building by the pier including local authors and craftsman, awesome Breton jams etc. and you can get tea at the little Presbyterian Church up the hill from the dock.. very quaint neat little town. Tours: we did Louisbourg off the ship but when I got back I will do it with the locals.. they will take you and pick you back up leaving time to explore.. Acadia Tours comes to mind but I can give you more specific info if I dig out my stuff. Cabot Trail is iffy in fog.. other option Bell Museum and Baddeck.

BOSTON: Duck Tour or Harbor Cruise.. although if you are then Sunday again the ship is late a lot.

The staff on board didn't know much about these ports at all. Sydney esp... we were sick that we had booked the tour with Carnival and found so many helpful folks on the dock.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Hi there,

We`re on Celebrity in Sept and also interested in whale wathcing too & I`ve seen some tours out of Halifax but does anyone know if there is anythign out of Sydney & if so which one is best???? icon_rolleyes.gif

jo

Thanks for the information Caroline!

Jo - I know there are whale watching tours out of Sydney, but from everything I have seen, they leave from the other side of the cape opposite where the boat docks.

I have not be able to find any info about public transportation, so I am not sure how we would make it there!

There is one I was interested called Fiddlin Whale Tours. You can go to their site at fiddlinwhaletours.com

If anyone knows the best way to get over to the other side of the cape, i would appreciate any info!

Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Nothing is as far as it seems from the dock in Sydney.. there were locals on the dock, cabs etc. I'd email the folks at the whale watch company and see approx how much cab fare would be.

Host Caroline

Hi Mirrajay,

Thanks for the info ref fiddlinwhales. Looks

good. We like something a bit different & personal. Have emailed them a bunch of questions so will let you know what they say.

Caroline, You say the locals are all lined up at the dock side. Are any offering any pre-arranged tours or is it on the off chance of picking up business? How reliable/safe/good value etc. We`re a bit wary of locals trying

to rip you off - as can happen in Europe.

Thanks

jo

Hey, where did all the posts go. Its all messed up.

Anyway, emailed fiddlinwhales. Got a quick and friendly reply. I like the look of this tour.

It takes 2hr 45min by car from Sydney to Pleasant Bay. Driving along the cabot trail. Transfer can be arranged for Cad$20 p/p with min cost CAd100.

Tours last approx 2 hrs.

I think the critical thing is getting back to the ship in time.

Doesnt seem to be much else in the sydney area -I wonder if is this because we wouldnt see anything anyway....

Any thoughts???

Great information above... thank you all.

Have any of you done or heard of the tour called Kat'tek: Place of Peace, on Goat Island? We've narrowed our choices down to this tour, Baddeck & Alexander Graham Bell Museum, or Fortress of Louisbourg.

Lisa63

Looking forward to Maasdam Canada/New England 2004

We did the Carnival Alex Graham Bell tour last year. The museum itself is nice. It is a typical museum featuring his numerous inventions. If you came off the streets it was only a few dollars to get in, so your really paying for the long bus ride. We were in the museum for about 1 hour. The bus guide we had was a bit on the homely boring side.

If I was to do it over again I think I might opt for the Fortress of Louisbuourg. I've heard a number of comments from people on this board that they don't give you time to see Louisbuoug with the Carnival tour and your better getting a cab.

Definitely don't do the tour with Carnival to Louisbourg.. this is a fascinating place and they give you about 1.25 hours and hyou need 3 at least. It's one of the best historical recreations I've ever seen and I cannot wait to go back. On the pierside area the tourist board in Sydney has a booth where you can rent cars, get a cab. The folks there are wonderful. A local guide at the fortress offered us a ride back to town but it was too late for ship departure. Sandra that did my hair at the salon near the dock was wonderful and the folks at the pierside craft fair were just like bein' in any small town in the USofA 20 years ago.. chatty, friendly. Local authors signing books (got a great children's book) and the best jams and jellies locally made...

Host Caroline

On HAL, we will also have about 2 hours at the Fortress of Louisbourg -- a 45-minute guided tour plus 1.25 hours on our own. (Not surprising as it's very likely the same tour operator.) That doesn't bother me too much as we'll have our 10-year-old with us. But I read on the HAL site that some buildings are undergoing restoration and may not be open. Should this be a concern? Also, how difficult is it to walk about? (Again, 10-year-old.)

Thanks,

Lisa63

I think there is always something undergoing restoration there but, no, it won't affect you. If it were just you and your husband I would say take a local tour bec. 1.25 hours isn't enough time. Your 10-yr old should love the re-enactors and there are headphones in lots of the buildings that you can use to listen to them describe the armory, stables, houses etc. I think it's a very good tour for a child that age -- what I call "painless education." Get some good pictures nad one of their excellent books there for children and he/she will have a great history project "done" for next school year. PS - Pastries at bakery there divineicon_smile.gif

Host Caroline

Ok, if I'm understand your post Host Caroline your saying take a tour of Louisbourg on your own.

Are there tour buses or taxi tours at the pier to go on?

Also on the cruise we will stop in Boston. Do you know if the Boston Trolley car company has Trolley's at the pier? We don't have much time in this port, and from other post I read the ship is alway late. So we just want to see the highlight's like the famous church tower, Paul Revere House and other history sites.

Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Victory New York to Canada 09/25/2004 Cruise

Victory Cruise New York to Halifax

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

***So Glad To Be Back Cruise Again

Ship.gif Carnival Victory New York to Canada

Hey there - I am will be getting on the ship as you are getting off icon_smile.gif

I have heard the same thing about Boston - the ship is always late. Instead of the trolly tour, the duck tour has been recommended to be by many people. Its part on land and part on water. You can go to bostonducktour.com for more info. There will be taxis at the port to get to the departure site of this tour if you chose to take it. Its a 90 min tour that goes by many of the highlights. Apparently, its only about a 7 dollar cab ride.

Or you can take a cab to Paul Revere house also for about 7 bucks, but keep in mind that the Paul Revere house is only open until 4:15pm. And I have heard you often dont get off the ship in Boston until about 3:30 even though its supposed to arrive at 1:30.

Hope that helps.

Carey

How much time will you have in Boston? Unless you're going to walk the Freedom Trail on your own (and therefore in charge of your own schedule), I suggest a ship-sponsored tour. The cruise ship terminal is a couple of miles from downtown, and it will cost far more than $7-$10 to get to certain spots, especially if you are there during the evening rush hour. Also, there is a lot of road construction going on in Boston which can result in traffic delays.

Trolley tours may be at the pier, but this will be just for those who have booked through the ship. I notice that Carnival is offering the Duck Tours, too. These are GREAT, although you will have to admire the sites from a distance as you cannot get off the vehicle during the tour.

Feel free to ask me about Boston -- I've lived in Massachusetts for years. (Perhaps a new thread is best to get more responses.)

Lisa63

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
Thanks for the information Caroline!

Jo - I know there are whale watching tours out of Sydney, but from everything I have seen, they leave from the other side of the cape opposite where the boat docks.

I have not be able to find any info about public transportation, so I am not sure how we would make it there!

There is one I was interested called Fiddlin Whale Tours. You can go to their site at fiddlinwhaletours.com

If anyone knows the best way to get over to the other side of the cape, i would appreciate any info!

Thanks!

CAUTION: While there might be an offer of a Guarantee to see whales, I have found this not to be true. On July 13th amid a miserable fog, Fiddlin' Whale Tours took us out for thier 10am cruise. Not being able to see more than 10 meters off the boat, meant, understandibly, that we did not see any whales. As Mike and Benj offered, they hadn't been spotting as many whales in recent years anyway. When we returned to the docks after an hour and 15 minutes, we were not offered a refund, in fact we were denied a refund, because as we were told prior to the cruise, "there is, of course, no guarantee that you will actually see whales today." Is there ever? What I would suggest is that while this company will gladly offer a refund for inclement weather ... there may not be any such thing. While they offer a guarantee of seeing whales on "every" tour, it isn't worth the paper or electronic media they print it on. I have made several attempts to work with Stan on working this out, only to be told that he is satisfied with not offering me the refund.

BTW ... Capt. Mark's Seal and Whale Tour saw whales the day and time we toured with Fiddlin' Whale tours ... my recommendation without actually using them would be to stop by there.

Now that I have made my very first online complaint and negative review of a company, I think I will notify Visa ... a reputable company ... to have the charge removed from my statement.

Archived