In a pickle over Halifax & St. John

My wife and I are having a tough time deciding what to do in St. John & Halifax.
We thought about the Jet Boat in St. Johns but we are both whitewater rafters who live on the coast so a "boat ride" would not be that thrilling for us. How exciting is this ride? Are there rapids per se? Would like an opinion on this thrill ride from someone not easily thrilled.
We dislike guided tours & looking at buildings so we may just end up shopping.
Halifax presents a problem in that the whale tour we wanted to go on out of peggys cove leaves before we get there and the second tour won't get back in time for us to return to the ship. Is there anything exciting or out of the ordinary to do there?

We tend to like things that provide us with an upclose look at wildlife or provides an adrenaline rush.
Any help appreciated.

There are whale watching tours out of Halifax aren't there? I don't know about an adrenaline rush but Halifax is a great town and there's a ton of stuff to do. I think there's a program at the Citadel there where you can be a "guard for a day" or something like that.. different, right? How about renting bikes??? Had a friend who did that in St John. If you don't have this site yet take a gander [url="http://www.halifaxinfo.com"]www.halifaxinfo.com[/url]

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

The Jet Boat ride is quite exciting even for whitewater rafters. Lots of big swells and steep turns. My DH says it's a real rush.
If you enjoy hiking the Irving Nature Park is a great outing. You can do it on your own without it feeling like a "tour".
New River Beach is great on a sunny day but the water is very cold.
There are some kayak tours but usually on the ocean. I hear they are fun as well.
I hope you enjoy your visit.

If your cruise offers it the "high tides and fine wines" tour was an interesting and fun way to spend a day. We got to see the farming areas of the province where the winery was, got to do a wine tasting, saw the Bay of Fundy from several different places at several different times so we could get some ideas of the extreme tides that occur there and had a really nice late lunch in Halifax with lots more wine from the same winery we had visited earlier in the day. It wasn't a very active tour but it was interesting and different especially if you like trying out wines from different areas and countries.

Have a great next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib
Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib
HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib
Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib
HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal
RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib
Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib
HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib
Golden Princess 07/03 Med
Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib
HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada
Next cruise
Island Princess 11/04 Hawaii

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsocruisers:
Hey Host Caroline!

I was just curious what part of the state you were in. We're in Greensboro & would love to meet other Cruise Critic people.

Have you ever tried to get a group together?
GSOcruisers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Several couples on Mariner of Seas from
Concord, Charlotte area are planning to get together for dinner, drinks somewhere near Concord Mills on June 26 (pretty definite date but always ready to do it again!)... email me at [email]carocruiser@aol.com[/email] and I check these boards also.

Caroline

It would be like taking your white water raft and deliberately heading it into a wave. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. The "reversing falls" area is interesting and would be more interesting if you can see both high and low tides for comparison. But it seemed to me that if you could take this jetboat into the ocean you would get the same effect. They take a running start at the waves and plow directly into them. You slam into them (hurting your back a little) and the wave comes over the front of the boat and smacks you in the face (you will get a mouth full of water if you are screaming). It is more like a wet roller coaster than white rafting, because it doesn't have the dangers that rafting does. We booked directly and I felt it was worth it for the price.

Archived