Sun Princess, Balcony Cabin info please.....

DesrtDrmr

Hello,

We will be booking on the Sun Princess soon. We have been on the Sun before, but did not need a Handicapped cabin at that time. I looked at the deck plans and could only find inside cabins, and two mini suites that were H/C. Does anyone know if there are H/C balcony cabins on the Sun? One balcony category was shown in white, and I wondered if I missed seeing the H/C cabins in that category.

Thank you for any and all info..............

Unfortunately, on the Sun, as with her two sister ships the Sea and the Dawn, there are no balcony rooms. You have the choise of inside or mini suite. There are several outside rooms with obstucted view though. My husband, who is confined to a wheelchair, and I have not been on the Sun but have sailed both the Sea and the Dawn. We take inside rooms though, due to budgets. They are very spacious if you can get past not seeing daylight.

Thanks, Canuk05.

I guess we will either try for the non acc. cabin we had last time, which could be workable with a bit of luck and help, or an inside. The minis on the Sun Class ships are beautiful, according to the brochures, but more than we would like to pay........

Oceanwench,

We have had beautiful h/c balcony cabins on the Star and the Island Princess. That means the Grand, the Golden, and the Coral have them too. Those ships, however, do not have h/c minisuites, which the Sun, the Sea, and the Dawn do. I don't know about the Sapphire and Diamond.......... I guess someone must do a study, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how they think. :) All of the Princess, RCI, and HAL ships have been pretty accessible for the most part...........RCI has the best public bathrooms, as the ones I've found on the Princess ships all have outside doors that open outward.........very hard to get into with a scooter, but once inside, they are very good.

I think that every cruise line ought to have someone ride a scooter, and a wheelchair, and go in and out of every facility on every ship, just to see how accessible they are......................obviously noone has done that, on any ship.

I also don't know about the Regal, as I did not need a h/c cabin when we were on that ship, and have never been on the older, smaller ships of Princess.

Oceanwench,

We have had beautiful h/c balcony cabins on the Star and the Island Princess. That means the Grand, the Golden, and the Coral have them too. Those ships, however, do not have h/c minisuites, which the Sun, the Sea, and the Dawn do. I don't know about the Sapphire and Diamond.......... I guess someone must do a study, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how they think. :) All of the Princess, RCI, and HAL ships have been pretty accessible for the most part...........RCI has the best public bathrooms, as the ones I've found on the Princess ships all have outside doors that open outward.........very hard to get into with a scooter, but once inside, they are very good.

I think that every cruise line ought to have someone ride a scooter, and a wheelchair, and go in and out of every facility on every ship, just to see how accessible they are......................obviously noone has done that, on any ship.

I also don't know about the Regal, as I did not need a h/c cabin when we were on that ship, and have never been on the older, smaller ships of Princess.

You are so right -- and the cruise people should take a few TAs along for the ride! Don't you love it when TAs tell you something is accessible, but they forgot the "one or two steps" that have to be climbed?

DH used a powerchair, and even with that he has a hard time in various parts of the ship.

Thanks for the information -- the Coral Princess is also on our "maybe" list, so it's good to know about the HC balcony cabins. DH does not care about the balcony, but I love sitting outside and enjoying the sun/breeze/ocean air!

Our choices right now are HAL, Princess and Celebrity.

We enjoyed the HAL Vista ships, with about 1,800 pax, and do not want to go to something too much larger. We are hoping to take a 10-day cruise this time.

I know what you mean about the balcony! I love it, too...........sitting there and reading, and looking up to see the ocean, is my idea of wonderful. To tell the truth, DH doesn't really even care about cruising, but he goes to please me...............I don't go hunting to please him!! Amazing we've lasted 40 years, isn't it?? :)

Have a great cruise, and please tell us about it when you return. Our next isn't til 2006, so I have to live vicariously until then.

We are sailing on the Westerdam 11/13.

It will be our fourth time on a HAL Vista ship.

The cruises I am looking at on Princess, etc. are for early 2006.

We plan to cruise twice a year, once in late winter/spring and once in November.

Archived