buy digital pictures?

I will post this on a few boards, so I apologize if you read it somewhere else as well.

I am going to make a photo book for my inlaws - they are paying for our cruise, and I thought it would make a nice gift. Sony has a great idea on its website - it is a bound "coffee table" book with your photos - you download them to their site and they print it for you in a hardcover book. I plan on taking a lot of photos, but I want to have one of us in our formalwear in the book. Is there some way that I can pay to have a digital version of the photos they take on board, or can I "tip" the photographer to take one with my camera? I would much rather have a copy of the one they take, but I don't know if this is possible. I would appreciate any help!:D

It would be really easy to digitize one of the ship's photos if you know someone with a scanner. The problem is that I think the photos you buy from the ship's photo vultures have a copy write and it would actually be illegal to copy them, but I might be wrong. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, you have to be the one to decide that. Personally, if I bought the photo, I would copy it for myself. Actually, I have a scanner and have digitized photos so I could share them on the internet.

Also, I'm sure that sony isn't the only online photo site that offers to make a hardcover book of you photos.

Kodak makes hardcover photo books:Kodak

So does shutterfly

If you can't find someone with a scanner, I'd be willing to scan your photo for you. Just let me know if you want help : idiveoregon (at) yahoo.com

Bruce

Thanks. I do own a scanner, it's just that sometimes the quality of those photos isn't the best. Someone else suggested asking another passenger to take one, but I didn't know if that would be tacky. :o I was hoping that I could buy a copy on a disk on the ship, but I guess that would be too much trouble for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a photo book on Shutterfly. It's a wonderful gift! It looks completely professional. I also put together one from my recent cruise, but I haven't purchased it yet. I had so many photos, it got to be pretty expensive.

I've had someone else take a formal photo and also scanned one in. The scanned in photo still looked great. I guess this option depends on if you think it's the "right thing to do".

First, you can ask for a waiver form from the photo desk, so you can feel better about it. This is really only required if you are having them scanned and reprinted by a photo processor (Walgreens, Ritz Camera, etc..). They will sometimes refuse to make copies without a release form, but that depends on the person at the counter too.

The reality is that without reprints being offered by the cruiseline, once on land, you have no choice but to scan and reprint them yourself. I have scanned and posted many of our ship photos, and always get good results. If you had wedding shots done by a photographer, that person could (in some cases) stands to make money on reprints by handling this service themselves. The cruiseline doesn't have this kind of system in place....yet, but who knows what is coming?

I really think they should offer a disk along with your photo, for an extra charge. The combination of pictures from all your sittings could be ordered for last day pickup, or just a disk from each session. I even think I have read about some cruiselines doing it already, but that may be my imagination. There is clearly more money to be made from selling digital copies as well, and we all know they have no problem with that. ;)

~ Kenny

www.kenandschley.com

Cruise & Misc. Destination Pics

• 3 weeks later...

NCL Majesty had a sign that said they would burn your photos to a CD. I didn't pay too much attention to it so I don't know if they mean your digital photos from your own camera or the photos they take but they do have the equiptment to do it. Hope this helps!

Archived