Viking Communications

WilliaFr

Someone suggested in another thread that a "Communication" thread should be set up ... so here it is!

I believe that Viking Cruises will get it right over time but as a reminder of the task ahead of them I plan to provide a summary of the relevant posts on the subject of communication in the hope that someone from Viking Cruises will read it.

Edited by WilliaFr

Sometimes it's not that they've disorganized - sometimes they intentionally mislead. See my posts under London disembarkation and King Sized Bed. If they had told us the real reason we were so late getting off (2 plus hour delay) they would have had mutiny onboard.

Sometimes it's not that they've disorganized - sometimes they intentionally mislead. See my posts under London disembarkation and King Sized Bed. If they had told us the real reason we were so late getting off (2 plus hour delay) they would have had mutiny onboard.

Did you mean it would cause mutiny or minutiea aboard Star?

“Communication about things that are working is good ... communication about those things that aren’t working is better!”

Following is a list of points concerning communication(s) that I have picked up whilst trawling through the various posts on CC.

Please note that they do not reflect my own personal opinions as I have yet to sail on the Viking Star (and am greatly looking forward to the experience).

I have simply tried to summarise those points made by contributors to the various CC threads, sometimes expressed very bluntly, and present them in a shorter form, in the hope that I, and others, will benefit from an improvement in communications in the months to come!

So here goes.

Viking Communication(s)

1. It is said that their communication is not great!

2. They don’t communicate anything negative.

3. Only communicate when they absolutely have to.

4. Responsibility for communications appears to be unclear amongst crew/management.

5. If in doubt remain silent!

6. One communications owner required for all areas (ship, dining, entertainment, IT, ship etc.)

7. They win the prize for “absolute non-communication”!

8. Issues reported to Explorers’ Desk, Karl Eckl or crew members are rarely responded to and, if so, often only result in short terms fixes, and not long term fixes, as issues surface again within a day or so.

9. It would appear that getting straight answers from the Explorers’ Desk is similar to my experience whilst working in Japan ... no one wants to respond “no” to a question put to them.

10. Lack of communication and mistaken communication put down to management failures, especially in the provision of training and information to on-shore Customer Services staff (often described as being bright, energetic and hard-working people who simply don’t have the required information to hand).

11. It is not made easy for passengers (current, future or prospective) to provide feedback of any sort. Suggestion that a section of the website be created to deal with communication issues and complaints or utilise a designated area of the Cruise Critic website.

12. Not communicating to passengers what is available / happening on board.

13. Communications of availability of amenities, events, news, feedback, bookings etc. via TV is very poor or non-existent (not clear if same applies to the daily newspaper/update).

14. “A” for effort but failing the grade so far.

15. Communication with passengers “pre-cruise” is far from adequate.

16. Communication is the beginning of any relationship and, if handled badly, can be the end.

17. Appears to be a problem in separating issues about “Viking Oceans” and “Viking Cruises” leading to poor responses by staff who are inadequately informed about the “Viking Oceans” part of the business.

18. Passengers say that they have never had communication issues with “Viking River Cruises”.

19. If you ask for “anything more than the time” you are referred to your travel agent who themselves learn nothing of any value!

20. Maybe the Cruise Director would like to “post a nice hello” to all passengers on Cruise Critic and take a leaf out of Azamara’s book and have someone take on the challenge of being responsible for responding to messages on message boards, Facebook and Twitter etc.