Wind Surf Grand Prix Cruise 2006

seadestin22

My Husband and I are on the Wind Surf Grand Prix Cruise in May 2006 (Departing

from Nice) Would Love to hear feedback from anyone who was on the 2005

Grand Prix Cruise.....I am planning this alone (Birthday surprise for hub's 40th)

and I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the race package from Windstar

or arrange with someone else....husband is the race fanatic and I am at a loss

on this....

My Husband and I are on the Wind Surf Grand Prix Cruise in May 2006 (Departing

from Nice) Would Love to hear feedback from anyone who was on the 2005

Grand Prix Cruise.....I am planning this alone (Birthday surprise for hub's 40th)

and I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the race package from Windstar

or arrange with someone else....husband is the race fanatic and I am at a loss

on this....

Last year there were varied reports on the race package. Some people had very high expectations as to where the viewing was - which did not pan out. If you can find out where the viewing is and then do some research you should be miles ahead.

Yes, I called CS at Windstar and they don't know yet what the accommodations will be. I saw a few posts from 2004, but have not read any feedback from the 2005 trip yet....It must still be too early. I'm worried that I will wait to hear from Windstar and let other opportunities pass by.

Thanks for the Info!!

Seadestin22. You are a wonderful wife to give this to your husband for his birthday. My wife did the same for me last May. My birthday was actually on the day of the Grand Prix. This was to be a once in a life time experience for us .... however it was so excellent we will to do this again.

The cruise was very good, however the highlight was the Grand Prix. ( I am a F1 fanatic) IMO, do not buy the tickets from Windstar. They offered tickets on Grandstand K for a premium price. The tickets included transportation, however it was only a 15 minute walk and most people opted not to use the transportation. Friday is a free day. The F1 cars have the day off, however all the support races have practice and qualifying. We used this opportunity to sit in different grandstands for each session and experience different parts of the circuit and you will have a chance to walk down pit lane.

On Saturday and Sunday we watched the race from a third floor Terrace over the Chicane as the cars came down the hill after exiting the tunnel. I bought the package at the last minute on Ebay. This included Saturday and Sunday on the terrace fully catered. Do not expect Budwieser and hotdogs because you won't get it. First thing in the morning they offered coffee, fresh croisants, juice and champagne. In fact the champagne flowed all day. Lunch and snacks were also offered along with a selection of wines and beer and soft drinks. If interested, I can give you the contact for John who has the apartment. I believe he is offering the same package for approx $1800 US per couple.

Another option is to watch qualify and the race from the Cafe de Paris or Hotel Mirabeau. http://www.montecarloresort.com /en If you click on events, they offer packages complete with lunch and beverages, however 2006 details have not been posted yet. When we were on the ship we told some other passengers about the Cafe de paris Package and they were able to book after arriving in Monaco. I think they really enjoyed it as they couldn't thank us enough.

http://www.acm.mc is the official site for the Grand Prix with ticket information.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer.

Satisfaction,

Bless You! That is exactly the information that I needed! OK...now that I found you, I'd like to pick your brain... (if that's ok?? :)

Other than the race accomodations, were you pleased with the Wind Surf?

I was only able to find one other cruise tour for the Grand Prix and that was

on the Silversea Silver Whisper. I know that Silversea is exceptional

accomodations, service, food etc... and wondered how it would compare to Wind Surf.

It sounds like you were very satisfied with the terrace Apartment that you watched the race from. (The food and drinks sound perfect) I was afraid to reserve space in an apartment due to some negative experiences some past race attendees had posted (crowded, no view, etc...)I would like to contact the individual that I can reserve with, Could you e-mail his contact info to me at loandestin@cox.net ? So, do you think this is the best way to see the race... rather than Cafe de Paris or one of the other locations?

Were you able to see any of Monte Carlo while you were in port? I know this cruise is all about the race, but I thought I would ask. I am trying to make this a "trip of a lifetime" for both of us whereas we are rarely in Europe

(never!). My husband's main concern will be the race and race accomodations....view, very nice comfortable location, drinks food etc...and did I mention view....I seriously dobut if he would care if we arrived aboard a piece of driftwood. I on the other hand am all about the cruise, ship and excursions!

Let me thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post, the information that you have provided is of the greatest value...(I've made myself Ill worrying that I was planning a fiasco for the price of a small car).

If you and your wife will be sailing on the Grand Prix crise again this year

we would love to buy a drink.

Sincerely,

Seadestin22 (Bridget T.)

Archived