Cabin Selection

ILCruiser

We are planning on trying Windstar (Wind Star) for the first time and would like some advice on picking a cabin. Any suggestions which of the "B" cabins to try to get or to avoid on Deck 1? Any drawbacks to the cabins next to the bulkheads (i.e. 109,112,128,etc.)? Has anyone ever tried the Guarantee category and if so, what cabin were you assigned?

We were advised to book cabins around midship to avoid cabin noise and to reduce movement. Closer to the front and rear apparently receive more movement, and the rear might have more noise. We've had 116 and 120 (both B's on deck 1) on the Spirit, and didn't have any issues with either noise or excess movement. As for bulkheads, I don't know... I thought all the cabins were supposed to be the same. Perhaps someone else can comment on that.

The differences between the regular cabins are small. They also seem to be well sound insulated. One morning on the Winds Surf as it was manuvering into port, I heard a bit of engine noise or something. Other than that I didn't hear much in our cabin (229 - close to the stern but not all the way back). On the Wind Star we were on the lowest deck and there was some water noise when we were underway - a continous white noise kind of thing - not a problem. Other than that, the cabin was also quiet.

The only place I noticed distinctly more motion was at the very front of the restaraunt on the Wind Surf which is right at the bow. I don't think any of the cabins are that far forward. On the Wind Surf we had a guarantee. That was for the first December sailing after the trans-Atlantic and it was pretty lightly loaded so a number of people who had booked the B cabins were moved up to A. I think the deck 1 cabins might have been empty. The cabins are so similar that I'd book a guarantee again without hesitation on these ships.

Archived