Cruised with Oxygen and Wheelchair

Optifire

We just returned from the Voyager of the Seas last week out of Bayonne New Jersey. We had taken our own oxygen tanks, a concentrator, a c-pap machine, a nebulizer and the wheelchair. We had no problems getting on the ship with all these items. We dropped the luggage off at the drop off section and they also took the oxygen and all the other medical equipment at this time. The put it in a different cart section other then the luggage. We proceeded to get in line and had no proablem at all with the push wheelchair. We were directed to a different registration section and then went through the terminal where a bus was waiting to take us to the ship. The bus had a ramp that came out and down and it was quite easy to push the wheelchair on the bus. They had a special area on the bus that the wheelchair could be parked and we were able to sit beside her. Getting off the bus was just as easy and upon entering the ship, there was only a small ramp to go up and the crew helped with the wheelchair going up this ramp.

The oxygen and medical equipment arrived at our room around 430pm and all was in perfect shape. There was no problem with pushing the wheelchair around the ship other then sometimes where the doorways were, there was a metal plate that would sometimes hang up the wheelchair, but not a real concern.

Getting the medical supplies off the ship was a problem. Royal Caribbean has to work more in this area on perfecting the service. We went to the guest relations desk the day before to see the procedure they wanted us to follow for the removal of the supplies. They said to call down around 6:30am and someone will come up for it. We did...but no one showed...we called back around 8am and he was still working on it. At this time, our room steward started throwing a fit as her supervisor notified herthat it would be her job to take it off and she refused to do so. So now the battle began...between her and Guest relations. Guest relations was more concerned about her attitude then the problem at hand and started working on repremanding her rather then finding someone to take our equipment off. Finally around 830 a guy came up with out a cart to take our equipment. He could only carry two items, so the rest was left for us to carry off ourselves. Which we did along with our regular carry off luggage. Upon coming home I called Customer Service and was told that we were the ones that were wrong. The girl told me that if you bring your own oxygen aboard then it is your responseibility to get it to and from your room. So I called the Speical Needs Department and she said that is not correct. It is the policy that you can bring your own oxygen to the ship, it is your responseibility to get it to the ship, but then pier assistance will help you take it to and from your room. Then it will be your responseiblity to get it from the baggage area to your car. So she transferred me to Customer Services Headquarters in Miami. Upon telling him my story, he assured me that we were not responsible for carrying the oxygen off and the ball was dropped on their end and he would see to it that this would not happen again to anyone else.

The reason I posted this is for those with Special Needs going on a cruise. It is so important to find out where you stand with how the cruise line you are taking will be able to take care of your health issues if you should have any before you book the cruise. Ask questions and get it in writing. That is how I knew the policy in advance, I contacted The RC Special Needs Department at 1-800-722-5472 ext. 34492. Even though, things went wrong, I knew that what I was telling them was correct. The guy that finally came for the two pieces of medical equipment asked me where he was suppose to take it to. He had no clue where it was to go. I told him to take it to where our luggage would be stationed for pick up. Royal Caribbean really needs to retrain their crew and supervisors when it comes to the debarking process for Special Needs Passengers.

Guest Cookiegirl

We sailed with oxygen and a wheelchair on the 10/17 sailing of Constellation out of Bayonne, NJ. This was our first time sailing with medical equipment, however, our experience was a good one. Our Assistant Room Attendant took care of seeing that the oxygen got to our cabin and that it also went with our luggage when we departed. Our check-in was nothing short of phenomenal... we were on the ship within 15 minutes of arriving in the terminal. I agree that it's extremely important to talk with Special Needs and confirm everything with them.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't better considering RCL is the parent company of Celebrity.

Susan

Archived