Windsurf Size and Seas

flannbarr

We have an opportunity to go on the Windsurk in late March 2006 as part of a promotion at work. My DW is worried about the size of the ship and potential sea sickness. We were just on the Carnival LIberty which was 110,000 tons and the Windsurf is about 1/8 of that. What do I tell her? Will it be worse in the seas? It only makes logical sense. I hear the food and service are wonderful though.

We have an opportunity to go on the Windsurk in late March 2006 as part of a promotion at work. My DW is worried about the size of the ship and potential sea sickness. We were just on the Carnival LIberty which was 110,000 tons and the Windsurf is about 1/8 of that. What do I tell her? Will it be worse in the seas? It only makes logical sense. I hear the food and service are wonderful though.

It could be - but it is not a given

First - unless the trips follow exactly the same paths then the conditions are going to vary. Not to mention the variance of the weather.

SURF isn't that small, as compared to STAR ... but true, not 100k either

Funny thing about sails .... when the sails are set and drawing, the ship actually will roll less. The wind on the sails provides a buffer against rolling. I don't know about the SURF, but do know that the stabilizers on the STAR were very large relative to the size of the ship as compared to those on a larger ship, and seemed to work quite well. Folks paying WINDSTAR prices don't like to get tossed out of their beds :p

But if she's gonna be paranoid over the size of the ship - well, some people are gonna get sea sick at the pier just because they've decided they will....

My DW is also prone to getting seasick (but not homesick). She takes Meclizine, regardless of the ship we sail, from before we board until we get back to the airport.

However, she finds the Star/Song(RIP)/Surf sailing ships to be much easier to tolerate because they seem to rock and roll so much LESS than any of the larger ships we've "sailed". Strangely enough, our most difficult seas have always been on the larger ships. Of course, we've never been on the same trip twice, and can't test the difference between large vrs sails, but it's safe to say, the Surf is a wonderful ride.

Archived