Scopolomine Patches

RachelEllen

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with scopolomine patches? I get really, really seasick on small boats and have no problems on cruise liners. We're doing our first cruise, 7 days, on a smaller ship (inbetween those two extremes), so I'm nervous about seasickness. I don't want to use unneccesary medicine, but I also know the patches don't work as well if you wait until you are sick before using them. Anyone have personal experience with how long they take to kick in? Comparing a 100ft boat with a 20 ft as far as seasickness? Side effects from using the patch for 6 days?

Thanks,

Rachel

p.s. Pls don't tell me to ask my doctor. I did. THey were happy to write the script, but have no experience with the medication. For what it's worth, I am a doctor and have read up on the medication, but I want to incorporate other's experience into what I plan to do!

Hi Rachel! My best friend had cruised before her and I took a cruise last fall. She had used the patches on a previous cruise, and said that she applied them the minute she got on board--before they even left port--and wore them the whole time.

This time, however, she took them, but didn't use any. In place of the patches, she took some advice about herbals. She took bonine and ginger supplements and had no problems at all. I'm a little skeptical of homeopathic medicine myself (we are both nurses), but it seemed to work well for her.

I know her previous cruise was for 7 days and she used Scop-patches the whole time and didn't even have trouble with getting her land legs back once they disembarked. Hope this helps!

~Steph~

Celebration 9/13/03--NBA Bachelorette Cruise--AWESOME!!

Next cruise? NOT SOON ENOUGH!!

Many years ago my wife and I both took scopolamine during an extended cruise.

I had no adverse reaction, but my wife did upon our arrival home.

After taking off the patch she actually went “blindâ€. A tunnel vision that was so severe only a few degrees of aperture could be seen.

Calling the doctor, she was advised to re-apply the patch and then cut the patch into ½’s the next day and then ¼’s the following day finally removing it on the third day.

Vision then was fine.

Subsequently, she only used ½ patch during future voyages, cutting it into quarters on the last day allowing her to remove it the following morning after our return. She has had no problems using this method.

Blurred vision and pupil dilation plus an increased effect of the scopolamine when used with alcohol seem to be complaints I’ve heard from more than one user.

It is an extremely potent medicine (to some) and an overdose can be life-threatening.

Please use it with caution.

I used the patch on one of our cruises and had blurry vision and dizziness with it. Didn't know which was worse, the side effects or the seasickness. On our last cruise I used meclazine and it worked very well with no side effects. I used as suggested by someone on the boards; taking them every day even though you have no symptoms. I have now ordered the relief bands since so many people swear by them. We'll see in May if they work.

Hi RachelEllen,

I and wife used scopolomine patches few years back. I had blurred vision, sensitivity to bright light, very dry mouth and some dizziness. Wife had the same symptoms but a lot stronger (body weight a lot smaller).

I talked with a doctor on RCI's LOS (a cruise to Hawaii that wife became sea sick) and was told that they see a lot problems with 'the patch' and they do not recommend them. I also talked with a nurse on the Millennium (two weeks ago) and she prety much said the same thing.

On the other hand I did see 'lots' of people wearing the patch.

Ming is describing the experience of cutting the patch in smaller section. We tried that for my wife (when on the ship)and things/adverse symptoms got even worse....maybe because the patch is made to release a small dose over 72 hours but when it is cut all of the medicine is released a lot quicker.

I also read experience of someone else who cut the patch to reduce the dose, and touched the eyes with the hand by mistake and was almost blind for few days.

I have seen someplace scopolamine sold in the form of a pill and perhaps the dosage can be controlled easier.

On the subject of the elctrinic ReliefBand.....we have two of them, we used them without much help for motion sickness.....but many people claim they work for them.

Meclazine seem to work for us but makes wife very tired and sleepy. Ginger....not much help.

The best medicine is a calm sea......otherwise we get some relief from the 'chemicals' but they do have some side effects.

RachelEllen, you probably do know the the scopolomine patch was taken off the US market for about 2 years and later came back.....I am wondering why? was there a problem that got corrected? If you know please let 'us' know.

Wes

Hi Ming,

thanks for the information about the 'delivery errors' .....perhaps that is what was happening to us.

By even now after the corrective action if any, there still might be some problems......otherwise why do the medical personnel on ships (who sees a lot of people with the patch as well as people needing help for sea sickness) stay away from the 'patch'.???

Interesting link......no wonder wife does not remeber much from the cruise when the patch was applied.

Wes

Thanks ming for the article. It confirmed something I thought I had read once>>>that the Germans used Scopolamine in WWII as a truth serum. For those of you whose Spouses wear the patch, can try asking a sleep time question or two of "interest" and see what happens!! icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;1;22;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Serenade of the Seas

Fortunately I don't get the blurred vision or dizziness but I do get dry mouth. And TERRIBLE nausea 1-2 days after I take the patch off. This next cruise I am only going to use 1/2 of a patch by covering one half with tape (not supposed to cut it) and see if it lessens the side effects. But I do need the patch for seasickness and nothin's gonna stop me when I'm cruising icon_smile.gif

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess (5/04)

Are there different types of patches? I have used them since I took my first cruise in 1995. On my first cruise I was sick at least half the time. Have used them ever since and had no problem.

I have never been on a cruise that I didn't have a great time.

I'm a pharmacist...there are only one type of motion sickness patches. I don't like them. I've found that the side effects..,blurry vision, dry mouth, dizziness...were much worse than the motion sickness. In my professional and personal opinion, meclizine is the most effective, least side-effect, medication. Second best is Dramamine.

Sailing on the Carnival Mircale 6/26/04

Archived