New Princess Liquor Policy???

catdancers

Can anyone comment on the Princess liquor policy as outlined in the Cruise Critic email newlsetter today? The part I'm wondering about is the bringing wine/champagne onboard at embarkation. We've done that before and the Princess literature at that time said it was OK. Does anyone have any new boarding info for an upcoming cruise?

Below is a quote from the CC email newsletter dated June 8, 2004.

"Bringing liquor onboard at embarkation: Not allowed. Confiscated; returned at the end of the cruise.

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Allowed if purchased during a port visit; not allowed at embarkation. May be consumed in restaurants or in staterooms. When brought to restaurants, a $10 corkage fee applies.

Purchasing liquor in port: Retained until the end of the cruise.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Retained until the end of the cruise."

Any comments?

Norway 8/83

Norway 11/85

Golden Princess 11/01

Golden Princess 3/02

Star Princess 11/02

Diamond Princess 4/04

Coral Princess 12/04

Caribbean Princess 9/05

I saw that also.. I think the newsletter is incorrect.. I usually bring 3-4 bottles of fine wine and so far had no trouble bringing them on board.. Here is a quote from the Princess Website:

The Onboard Experience

Question: What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?

Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.

That's what we've always thought too and have had no trouble bringing on a few bottles of wine. However, not sure which is the latest scoop?!?

Norway 8/83

Norway 11/85

Golden Princess 11/01

Golden Princess 3/02

Star Princess 11/02

Diamond Princess 4/04

Coral Princess 12/04

Caribbean Princess 9/05

Retaining of the liquor is pretty standard. It's their ship and economics are involved. I have been successful bringing a bottle of Vodka on board in St. Thomas, once. Made a little diversion, got it by the gangway personnel. That was pre-9/11, though. Expect it to be held 'til you disembark. If you are able to get it to your stateroom, well, good show. Me..., I'm goin' for the T-Shirt after visiting all the bars on board the Golden. It's an incentive thing.

icon_biggrin.gifRobert

Rob

Celebrity ZENITH - So. Caribbean - 4/97

Celebrity Millennium - Mediterranean 6/01

Golden Princess 8/01/04 - So. Caribbean

We make liquor purchased in St. Martin or St. Thomas on every cruise to those ports, usually two or three times a year. We have NEVER had it confiscated at the gangway. I think some of this is just luck as we also know people who have had it taken away as they reboard the ship.

One thing we have noticed is those that have it confiscated have made very large purchases and were carrying the liquor boxes, we usually just purchase a bottle or two.

Also, unless things have changed in the last two months, we have also ALWAYS carried on our favorite wine as Princess does not carry it in their stock. There has never been a problem at embarkation with it in our carry on.

Hard liquor is a different matter, they do confiscate that from your carry on if they find it.

Caribbean Princess 8/14/04

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

I have found that if I have purchased liquor in a port and the store puts it in a box, I have been asked to check it. If it is in a the backpack that I am carrying on, I have not been asked to check it.

We sailed on the CP on 5/1/04 and brought on (at embarkation)6 bottles of wine and a bottle of vodka all packed in a boxed that was taped up. We didn't have any trouble.

Since the Cruise Critic email newsletter is new and dated June 8, 2004, I was wondering if Princess had a policy change in the works. Previously we were allowed to bring wine or champagne to embarkation openly--no smuggling necessary.

Norway 8/83

Norway 11/85

Golden Princess 11/01

Golden Princess 3/02

Star Princess 11/02

Diamond Princess 4/04

Coral Princess 12/04

Caribbean Princess 9/05

I've found their liquor policy inconsistent. At times we've been directed at the on-board security checkpoint to turn in bottles that we had purchased, other times they just waved me along and didn't seem too concerned.

Like most things, perhaps the situation has become too out of control and a backlash is in the works. It should make for some interesting threads in the days to come if a new policy is coming into effect.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

We sailed on the 5/23 Golden sailing..Ordered a "gift" ahead of time and our liquor was waiting in our cabin when we embarked. It is really about the same price as stateside and makes the smuggling thing hardly worth it.

Radiance of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

raydon, you can also order almost anything through room service, but it is a few bucks cheaper if you wait to order it when you board the ship. Takes them to shakes to deliver it to your cabin.

Caribbean Princess 8/14/04

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

My Asia 2004/2005 catalog says that liquor may be purchased at designated bar locations for consumption in ones cabin. It says the prices are comparable to retail. Does this mean that you can buy a bottle of vodka onboard (at retail prices- not duty free) and take it to your cabin??

Archived