SS Brasil

Anyone ever travel on the SS Brasil owned by the Moore-McCormack Lines? They were very big on South American cruises.

Many thanks.

I sailed on the SS Brasil in July 1960 from NYC to Buenos Aires, Argentina with my folks. I had just finished my junior year in HS and my Dad had been transferred to Argentina. As I recall the ship was only 2 years old at that time - we all had a wonderful time, especially my parents who were invited to have dinner at the Captain's table. When the ship docked in Barbados there was a special welcoming band playing steel drums with the name Pepsi painted on them. Only then did we learn that the actress Joan Crawford and her family had been on board since we left NY. We saw her several times on board after that; we were told that her husband was then president of Pepsi Cola I believe and that was the reason for the special band.

About 4 years ago I saw an article on cruise liners in the Sunday New York Times - the article gave the current name and former names of many of the ships then sailing. I scanned it and was surprised to see that the sister ship of the SS Brasil, the SS Argentina, was still sailing on 7 day cruises out of New Orleans. Since we happened to be going over to New Orleans (we live in north Fla.) on a date the ship was to sail, I called the curise line (Commodore?) and asked if we could come aboard on the day she sailed. We received permission and along with several others, I believe they were travel agents, were taken on a tour. I'll have to admit, the ship was in very sad condition, but then again I was comparing it to what I remembered from 40 years previous. Hope you enjoy my comments.

My wife and I sailed on her as the Volendam in 1981 for our honeymoon. She was a wonderful ship. In fact my wife has a picture of the ship backing away from her NY pier as the wallpaper for her laptop.

• 2 months later...

Two nice little ships, the SS BRAZIL and the SS ARGENTINA from Moore-McCormack Lines. My very first cruise of all time was on the re-named QUEEN OF BERMUDA out of New York to Bermuda back in the mid-80's on one of these ships. The BRAZIL is gone, don't know about the ARGENTINA.

• 2 years later...

I myself haven't had the experience of a cruise on the S.S. Brasil. I have though recently acquired a lovely sterling ashtray from it's maiden voyage in 1956. It features the following if anyone is interested in purchasing it for nostalgic value.

Sue

:)BOTTOM CENTER

925 Sterliing Silver

Industris Argentina

IN SCRIPT

Wright LocAnon

BuenosAireo

ON THE PERIMATER OF THE BOTTOM

On the occasion of the launching of the S.S. Brasil - Moore-McCormac,

Lines Inc. . 1957 .

INSIDE ASHTRAY

A mottled effect in the silver work

A 400 REIS Silver coin

1926 REPUBLICA DOS ESTADOS UNIDOS do BRASIL

(There are two stars on either side of the date.

• 11 months later...
Anyone ever travel on the SS Brasil owned by the Moore-McCormack Lines? They were very big on South American cruises.

Many thanks.

Yes! The SS BRAZIL and the SS ARGENTINA. Both would up with Bermuda Star Lines towards the end of their careers.

Archived