YS Falls vs Mayfield Falls

xrayvin

We will be in Mo Bay in Jan and are looking at tours to Mayfield and YS Falls. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between the two (location) Are you able to go into the waterfalls (Like Dunns River Falls) at both? Does anyone have any opinions as to which is better? Thanks for all the replies in advance!

I emailed A-Z about the difference between the two falls here was her response:

Both falls are beautiful but very different, with Y.S. Falls you swim in the

different layers and also have the opportunity to go tubing, the falls

itself cascade 120 ft and make for beautiful pictures. Mayfield Falls is

more active as you climb through the water, enjoy natural Jacuzzi and

waterslides as well as exploring hidden caves. There is a steep hill at the

end of the falls to get back to the bus so if you are not fit this may be a

problem.

What I am wondering about is her last sentence! Has anyone done Mayfield Falls before and knows what she is talking about? I would not say I am "unfit" BUT I am not an athlete nor someone who works out all the time. I actually think YS Falls and Tubing sound cooler but it is a 2 hour drive each way, Mayfield Falls is an hour each way (still not my fav way to spend my day) Has anyone used A-Z done either tour and left from Mo Bay? What was the drive like? Any opinions would be great!!

I have not done either of these tours from MoBay as I usually don't visit Jamaica by cruise ship - one day is not enough and I like Negril. I have done the YS Falls tour and it is beautiful and not at all strenuous. I have not yet done Mayfield, although it is high on my list. From what I understand from friends who have done it, there are a lot of steps (there may be more than one parking area) to get to and from the river and if the water is high it can be a bit difficult to maneuver through the river. That being said, some of the people I know who have done this have not been in the best of shape and you will have guides who can help you through the difficult places.

I'm sure you will enjoy either one. The Jamaican countryside is beautiful!

I emailed A-Z about the difference between the two falls here was her response:

Both falls are beautiful but very different, with Y.S. Falls you swim in the

different layers and also have the opportunity to go tubing, the falls

itself cascade 120 ft and make for beautiful pictures. Mayfield Falls is

more active as you climb through the water, enjoy natural Jacuzzi and

waterslides as well as exploring hidden caves. There is a steep hill at the

end of the falls to get back to the bus so if you are not fit this may be a

problem.

What I am wondering about is her last sentence! Has anyone done Mayfield Falls before and knows what she is talking about? I would not say I am "unfit" BUT I am not an athlete nor someone who works out all the time. I actually think YS Falls and Tubing sound cooler but it is a 2 hour drive each way, Mayfield Falls is an hour each way (still not my fav way to spend my day) Has anyone used A-Z done either tour and left from Mo Bay? What was the drive like? Any opinions would be great!!

We went to Mayfield Falls from Mo Bay in April with A-Z and thought the whole experience was great. The drive was little over an hour through the countryside. You get a good look at life in Jamaica. If you can walk up three flights of stairs, you can climb the hill back to the bus at the end. My wife and I aren't in the best of shape either, and made it no problem. We would definetly use A-Z again.

xrayvin,

we have not done Mayfield falls so I can not comment on the difference, but we have done Y S three times,maybe 4. you can see some pics of Y S in my pics at:http://www.oldmedic.smugmug.com (two different albums) they have really done a lot of work at Y S and made it much easier to get up the falls and into the different levels of pools in the last year or so. just a word of warning- the water is COLD!!!! but, after a few minutes you get used to it and it feels great!!!!. next time we go, I think we will just spend our whole day at Y S.

Hello, DH and I did the Mayfield Falls tour when we were at one of the Sandals resort last year. We both absolutley loved it. We too were on the fence deciding which place we wanted to go to and were glad we choose Mayfield.

We had (2) tour guides with us (group of 8 of us), so you actually get more of a personal tour verses something like Dunns River. Both gentlemen were very friendly and helped you from the very beginning, if you needed help getting from one rock to another or just to answer any of your questions. They will take pictures with your camera as well as their own and if you choose to, can purchase the video or still shots they take of you at the end of the tour- no problem and not pushy at all.

There were several spots along the tour in which you stop and either swim across one of the ponds or sit and relax in the swirling natural jets etc. They even have a tunnel you can swim thru if your brave enought - not me, I walked around it - LOL. The scenery was gorgous.

And Yes, going down to the starting point isn't a problem, but those stairs coming back up after the tour can make you stop and rest along the way. Which a couple of us did to. They have benches along the way, so you can sit and relax if you need to. I'm guess you just really get tired after walking and resting in all that water, so then to climb those stairs at the end. But I would say go for it.

Also you MUST eat their jery chicken - I wish I had some now, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. They have little huts you eat outsdide in and hear the water rushing below - wow - great place to go.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise and we used Barrett Adventures. Erol, Carolyn's husband was our driver. We rented a van for 4 people for 6 hours. He took us to Mayfield Falls and it was great! Warning road up there is not paved highways all the way! Been to Dunn's river and this was 10 times better. We had a guide for 4 of us. The moment you get in the water it seems cold but then you get used to it. If you are not a great swimmer the guide will help you around with out having to swim. If you are good at swimming you can have lots of adventure. Me ( nonswimmer) was able to sit under a waterfall and have it cascade down in front of me. We thought we would go to the falls and have a photo op and leave but it was about 1 and a half hours to do the falls. Then we ate there to. Good jerk chicken.

Erol was very pleasant and knowledgeble about plants and the countryside. It made for a great day in Jamaica!

Diane

We went to Mayfield Falls and had a wonderful time. We booked it with

A-Z planners and Clive met us at the terminal Mark came in a van and picked us up and wisked us away. Yes the road's got lots of potholes but "No problem, Mon" Mark stayed with us all day and took great care of us! Email Belinda and ask for him, he will take such good care of you.

Have a great time!

Tina

Thank you everyone for all the responses!! We were definatly leaning toward Mayfield, mainly due to the extra hour drive each way for YS Falls, and your comments definatly make me feel good about the decision.

However, yesterday I found out the the other girl we would be with is pregnant. Does anyone think this will be a problem. How slippery are the rocks? She just found out so she will be about 4 months along.

Belinda has been great and has answered all of our questions, so if we can we will definatly do this excurtion with A-Z planners.

Archived