Need Recipe for Bitter and Blanc

coysdad

• 4 weeks later...

I found it but haven't tried it yet. The lady who gave it to me said it was really close to what she had on the ship. Here it is if anyone else is interested.

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

(serves 8)

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).

For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.

For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.

In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.

Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.

In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.

Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

• 1 year later...

This also had to be my favorite dessert while on the Glory.

So, i just googled it and that brought me to this thread.

I have yet to find it though -- I read one post dated 2005, where they said the recipe has not been 'released' yet.

I did get the Chocolate Melting Cake recipe.

DH had that 3 or 4 times, but I only had it once... too rich.

everyone's always talking about the chocolate melting cake, but I thought this was the most fabulous ever. Glad to know others are discovering the joys of the bitter and blanc...

Thanks for the recipe! Although I hate to think about counting the points for weight watchers, I just might have to...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is a white chocolate bread pudding with a dark chocolate layer on the bottom. The recipe above (for 8) posted by coysdad is the recipe I obtained directly from Carnival. A chef friend of mine broke it down and "cleaned it up" to make 8 servings. I made it and it tasted the same as I remembered on Carnival. I hope this helps.

Incidentally, I thought Carnival had removed it from the menu. Last year, it was not on the Valor in June 2007. We just finished our 5/24/08 Liberty sailing, and they WERE serving Bitter n Blanc one night. So it is back on the menu.

Jayne - I know you were kidding, but....

On one cruise, a lady at my table had salad, soup, and three desserts every evening of the cruise! She said she wasn't wasting her calories on entrees/veggies.:D Surprisingly, she was very petite!

Jayne - I know you were kidding, but....

On one cruise, a lady at my table had salad, soup, and three desserts every evening of the cruise! She said she wasn't wasting her calories on entrees/veggies.:D Surprisingly, she was very petite!

I hate her. ;) :)

Yes the Bitter and Blanc was one fabulous dessert, I thought better than the chocolate melting cake (which was fab as well), but this isn't like any bread pudding that you have ever had, trust me, the flavor was a real surprise to everyone at the table who ate it, they were all ooohing and ahhhhing over it.

MAC

• 2 years later...

Thanks for providing the recipe, I am going to try it. It was so good! The bottom reminded me of hot chocolate chip cookies. To me, the texture of the dessert we were served was not like a traditional bread pudding. It was crispy on top and the vanilla sauce was really good, too.

• 9 months later...

Archived