I may have to have foot surgery. How will it affect my cruise?

ssatterly

Hi all..

I have 2 bone spurs that are cutting into and inflameing my Plantar Fascia (The ligaments on the very bottom of the foot) and Achilles Tendon.

My doctor is trying to avoid surgery by giving me pain killers and anti inflamatory's along with cortisone shots on the bottom of my foot and icing it down.

If that does not work then she is going to try Physical theraphy. I would do that 2 times a week for a month or so. If that don't help then i may have to have surgery.

And I have a cruise booked in Dec.

My foot is beging to affect my job. I am a EMT (Emegency Medical Tech.) I am ALWAYS on my feet and my Doctor thinks that is how I got the bone spurs. It is getting harder to work and even do everyday things. When i am at work I am in alot of pain.

If I have surgery it seems like the timing would be a moth or so before my cruise. And It takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal all the way. Including even more Physical theraphy.

I won't know untill after the 1st round of therapy if Ihave to have surgery.

I will be on the Radiance. How hard would it be to get around with say crutches or in a cast. If I have to have it before I cruise. HOPEFULLY if I have to have it I can postpone it untill after my cruise.

Any thoughts would help!!!

Thanks Susie

Hi Susie,

The ships are so big that it might be troublesome getting around with crutches. You COULD rent an electric mobility scooter, or wheelchair to have available on the cruise. Try CareVacations.com or Scootaround.com..........they leave their rentals on the ship for you, and you leave them there when you depart. The cruiselines have wheelchairs available for boarding and disembarking passengers. You call and tell the cruiseline ahead,either by calling them, or going through your travel agent, that you'll be needing one, and then just notify a crew member when you get to the port. On RCI and Princess, I have had good fortune with a staff member to push me, and take me to the boarding level in an elevator, rather than the normal stairs.

I think you'll have a great time, even if you are not in your normal operating mode! :)

Archived