Bus from Vancouver to Victoria

I've been told we can catch a bus from Vancouver to Victoria - one that goes on the ferry. Can someone please tell me is this something we have to book in advance? If so, where do we do that? If not....where do we go to catch the bus? Or....is there another way you would recommend?
TIA,
Debbie

If you want to bus over to Vancouver Island (which is where the capital city, Victoria is located) check out the site at [url]http://www.pacificcoach.com/[/url]

Pacific Coach lines will pick up at the ship pier as well as the bus depot and various stops around town. Although I haven't taken it in quite a while, what they used to do was put on more buses if they had the customers to warrant them. They would never leave people behind at the depot. You also get priority on boarding and disembarking the ferries, whereas others in autos may have to wait one or two sailings depending on crowds.

A quicker way (and very scenic) although a little more expensive, would be to take the Harbour Air Seaplanes [url]http://www.harbour-air.com/[/url] or West Coast Air Seaplanes [url]http://www.westcoastair.com/[/url] which go harbour to harbour. This is much quicker and would allow more time to discover various things in Victoria. These small planes go from right down beside Canada Place to downtown Victoria harbour which would put you right close to access all you wanted to see and do there.

Have a great trip !

Dave

Debbie: we did this a few years ago before a cruise, in fact it was our very first cruise. I used the Pacific Coach website for all the information. We flew into Vancouver, and found the Pacific Coach bus stand right outside the terminal-very convenient. The bus goes to the ferry terminal and once on the ferry, you are free to get off the bus and it was a very scenic cruise over to Vancouver Island and about an hour drive down to Victoria. The following afternoon, we did the reverse and my recollection is that the bus took us to Canada Place for embarkation. Hope this helps!

thank you both for your replies...Dave, as the trip to Victoria is almost at the end of our 6 week holiday....we could be almost penniless :) so I'm thinking it will be the bus, as much as I'd love to do the float plane.
I've checked out the Pacific Coach website, and that will be the way we go. I'm just not sure where to pick it up, I know we have to return our hire car somewhere in the city - just not sure where at this stage.
thanks again,
Debbie

Debbie:

You'll love the bus/ferry ride over to Vancouver Island. You travel through another set of islands (Gulf Islands) and go through some very scenic passes. Do be surprised to spot whales and other sealife while on the ferry crossing. The bus takes you from downtown Vancouver to Tswassen where it boards the ferry and you get off the bus and enjoy the 1 1/2 hr ferry ride. You then embark the bus again before the ferry lands at Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island and the bus will take you right into downtown Victoria bus depot which is directly behind the famed "Empress Hotel" and within a couple of blocks of Inner Harbour, Parliament Buildings, BC Museum etc........

Enjoy your trip !

Dave

Dave, i just came across your posting re the Volendam on the other board and read your review.....even more excited now....we're sailing on the Volendam on Sept. 8th. This is our first cruise and we're REALLY looking forward to it (that would have to be an understatement!) We will be celebrating 2 birthdays on the last night of the cruise, so I think I may have to book the Pinnacle for this - the menu sounds 'delish'.
Since you've actually been on the same cruise we're heading for, can I ask a question about Juneau? I wasn't aware that we arrived there in the afternoon - do you think will we have enough time to do the Mt Roberts tramway AND Meldenhall Glacier?
Also....apart from the ferry to Vancouver Island, we will also be catching the ferry from Victoria to Seattle, as it happens this will be on a Saturday....being a weekend, would we be safer to book this in advance? what do you think?
thanks heaps
Debbie

Hi Deb:

Glad you enjoyed the review -- you'll love the trip on the Volendam.

Oh, for sure, you'll have lots of time to do both and even more !

The tramway is right there where the ferry docks and the glacier is just a couple miles out of town. You might want to try to get in some whale watching / wildlife sightseeing as well. The ship stays in Juneau until quite late at night before departing.

As for Victoria to Seattle via ferry -- sorry I can't help you there.... never done it that way. Perhaps you could post a separate ? thread on these boards, or maybe try under Seattle on the US boards?

All the best,

Dave

• 3 months later...
The Victoria to Seattle ferry is called the Victoria Clipper

Leaves downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle

Passenger only, no cars

their website is [url]http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry_schedule[/url]

a very nice scenic ride

Bob

Archived