Souvenirs

otk4me71

First question: In buying "souvenirs" what is the best option for: a) co-workers; b) parents/family; and of course c) yourself!

Second question: What is the worst and/or best sourvenir someone ELSE brought you home from a cruise/vacation?

Just thought it'd be interesting to see the answers and ideas from these questions!

Best: My friend brought back tequila from her visit to an all-inclusive in Mexico.

Worst: A friend brought me a tacky souvenir plate from Italy.

I usually bring tequila from Mexico, coffee from Jamaica (although the Italy friend wasn't overly excited), etc.:rolleyes:

I usually buy things I can use as I got sick of all the useless stuff.

eg woven tablecloth and paschminas in Turkey.

Hand made glass bowl in Turkey.

A 3D picture in Greece.

Ulu knife in Alaska.

For gifts I like to do the same i.e somethig usefull as opposed to something that just collects dust.

My daughter and I have a thing though that we have to buy the tackiest, ugliest thing we see for each other. There are truly some ugly things out there.

Can't go wrong w/those yummy rum cakes! I always buy the box of four (or five) on the ship. They're individually boxed inside the big box...so makes for several souveniers - nice for co-workers, maybe?

Don't buy tees - unless somebody specifically asks for one. I've gotten several, which I don't care to have. Unless I've been somewhere, I don't want the shirt.:rolleyes:

I like windchimes. There are some really pretty ones in all sizes.

Oh, and boxes of chocolate shells in the ship's giftshop. They're pretty as well as good.

I sometimes go over my limit with the liqueurs for myself and friends - like Sheridans, which you can't buy in the states. Ohhh, so good!

I am on vacation for fun, not to be buying souverneirs, I use but I cut back alot my one girlfriend who takes care of the house alway wants a shot glass and I usually buy her 2, for our selves it maybe a mug from the ship or a nice shirt, lately I been buying towels which we can always use.

• 3 weeks later...

the item that i got the most appreciative comments about was from a cruise i took a few years ago to grenada. i stopped by some children on the side of the road that were selling the most darling little straw baskets with lids. they were about 4" in diameter, and inside each one was a selection of about 8 different spices from the island along with a small pamphlet describing each spice. since grenada is the "spice island" i thought it was very appropriate. and besides, i ended up getting something like 10 of them for less than $5.00. i hope i can find something similar (native) on this cruise.

I've purchased small bottles of good vanilla in Mexico to bring to friends; there you can also find these neat little clay figures with dangly legs - very cute on the Christmas tree! Silver is always a good buy in Mexico, small bottles of liqueurs in many of the islands. I always try to find a Christmas ornament for us - one that is unique to the place we bought it. Last year I started a small tree just for our travel ornaments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite souvenir: a blanket bought in Costa Maya on a roadside--very intricate and a good conversation peice. it is nice to say "I got that on a roadside in "Costa Maya"

Tees are always a poor choice--just cheap garbage. Except at Carlos and Charlie's!!

Also, there is no worse experience than shopping for souvenirs in Jamaica! I have never been accosted so badly. My wife was legitimately scared!

Finally, bring on the Rum cakes!!!!!! Always good for friends!!

We always buy my mother-in-law a spoon from every place we visit. She doesn't like to fly, so she doesn't travel much. Once we started travelling and her collection grew, we bought her a huge spoon rack with over 100 slots, but we figured it would stay looking empty. Well, now it's almost full!

The most unique souvenir is from China on our last trip - small clay figurines that pee when put in hot water! Cheap, too - six for $1 US.

Archived