General Picture Taking question...

(I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, so feel free to move it please!)

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon, and I'm taking my digital camera.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up cameras on tripods and setting the timers? Or, was it just easier to ask someone to take the picture?

I'd hate to have to ask people that, and I always cross my fingers that someone doesn't dash off with my camera. Then what would I do?

What's your opinion?

We (almost) always bring our tripod on our travels. It's become quite an important item on our packing list.

This way, we always have our pictures taken just the way we want it. Our experience from asking a stranger to take the picture results in

1) blurred photos

2) waiting for passersby i.e. not always are there people where you are :(

3) tired of not having a complete group picture , even when it's just DH and myself :o

4) tired of not having the complete monument/scenery in the picture

5) fear for the stranger walking away with our expensive camera :(

6) and just the "constant" asking "excuse me, would you mind helping......etc" :o

Given the above reasons, I happily pack in my tripod with no grief. The tripod doesn't have to be that bulky either. Look around and find what you consider as acceptable weight and size to carry around with you. Our tripod fits nicely in our backpack.

I HIGHLY recommend a tripod.;)

• 1 month later...
(I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, so feel free to move it please!)

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon, and I'm taking my digital camera.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up cameras on tripods and setting the timers? Or, was it just easier to ask someone to take the picture?

I'd hate to have to ask people that, and I always cross my fingers that someone doesn't dash off with my camera. Then what would I do?

What's your opinion?

Most people can't wait to take your picture. Its also a nice way to meet people.

Most people are happy to take your picture. It is also a very nice way to meet people. We have met a lot of people by either taking their picture or them us. It is a great way to find friends to hang with on the cruise. We have made many life long friends that way.

I agree, most people would be happy to take your picture. Just look for someone near you with a camera, who looks like they know what they're doing, and won't be intimidated by a digital camera that's different from theirs. ;) No one wants to be decapitated on their honeymoon. :p

Happy Traveling gave you a good idea of what can result when you give your camera to just anyone.

Do bring your tripod, though. It can come in handy in low light situations when a flash is not practical.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a fold up table top tripod so it's easy to take pics in the cabin, ie, before the formals, with guests and other events. You just set the little table tripod up on a dresser, table, nightstand or chair back and do an automatic focus on the camera at the subjects and then set the automatic timer for 10 seconds and it takes a perfect pic...

The little tripod can easily fit in a camera bag. They run about $12 at Ritz.

idssms

we also always take our tripod, doesn't take up much space, and we can set up the picture ourselves and have plenty of time to get into the shot. and because it's digital, we can view right after and get another shot if it's not right:)

My husband & I are professinal photographers and frequently get asked by strangers to snap a picture or two for them with their cameras. Maybe we look like we know what we are doing. We always do it, and then just for fun hand then our business card when we return the camera. It's a great conversation starter.

Carole

• 2 weeks later...

We used our digital camera on our honeymoon on the Conquest in April 04. We had no problems asking people to take a picture of us. Most people say, "only if you take ours too!" I wouldnt worry about anyone running away. Just hold theirs while they take your picture!

Tripods are great to have and the choices are better now then ever. Light and small. I bring one that folds up to 12 inches but can be 50+ inches tall. Light as can be.

If you have a camera that can make aperture and speed setting changes you can do some GREAT night shots. Try a 13 second exposure on Waikiki beach around 10 pm. The waves merge together to create a sureal water effect and the palms blur with all else in the image crystal clear.

You need a tripod for this so bring one and have fun.

Terry

2001- Princess Regal- Alaska

2002- Carnival Pride- Western Caribbean

2003- NCL Star- Hawaii

• 1 month later...

Tripod vs. strangers. Both have pros and cons. IF you have strangers take your photos, ask them to take 2 photos... one right after the other. (IMO I'd ask them this UP FRONT vs. waiting until after the 1st photo is already taken). This should only take an extra 5 seconds. This will better your chances that you'll get a photo that turns out OK. I've had mixed results from tripods and from strangers. If you're picky, a tripod may be the better option. But, your group (if you're every having a group photo taken) will be impatient with you if you take too long. If it's just you and your spouse, they'll probably be A BIT more patient with you.

By the way, people DO see to be very happy about taking a photo for you. Just make sure you have the camera READY to go for them and that you tell them which BUTTON to push. Make it easy and painless for them. Also, (if you're having a group portrait taken) have your group ready to go so they don't have to wait for you. They'll love taking your photo if it takes 15 seconds. Some will start getting annoyed if it takes longer than 30 seconds imo.

Have a great trip! :)

I agree people don't mind when you ask to take their picture...but I too always feel bad stopping so many people and asking a lot....AND I completely agree with the person that said when someone who is not familiar with your camera uses it - the picture is usually blurry. So I do recommend bringing a tripod for those reasons...they made nice small ones for about $15 for digital cameras. It's worth it.

Archived