Good news about tenders with lifts on RCCL

sunnyam

Well, my husband and I have finally booked our Med cruise and we are happy to say that RCCL will have at least two tenders with lifts on each ship by mid next year. These tenders will take both electric and push chairs. We are hoping that we will get to try one out in 8/2005 when we go on the Legend of the Seas. Just thought I would let you know.

April

I would not plan to take a power chair ashore anyplace in the Med. Shoreside is very inaccessible...few curb cuts, many times a few steps up into shops and museums. A manual chair is much more practical ashore.

Splinter,

My husband has an electric chair with a curb climber on it and he can actual climb up at least one step with ease. We have travelled everywhere with his electric chair as he has been in one since childhood. I think we would just have to see what things were like upon our arrival. Thanks for the advice though.

I would at least recommend taking your manual chair with you...power chairs can breakdown too. We found a lot of places where we had to get help to lift the chair up a whole flight of stairs (Venice especially) so one step would have not done us much good. Generally if you have a tender port they will not lift a power chair manually either from the ship or at the tender dock ashore (the tender lift only helps on the ship's end).

Archived