Rays,Reef and Rum point worth it?

erRN2be

We are planning on sailing in April 2005. I am planning the stingray swim and snorkeling...I was just wondering if anyone had done the complete tour with Nativeways to include rum point too, and if it was really worth the extra money. I mean it's almost double what it would cost to just snorkel and swim with the stingrays!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chelle

We just got back from the Caymans. We rented a car (for $51 for a midsize, all gas and insurance included) and drove to Rum Point. We took the long route and stopped several times, which took about 1 1/2 hours. Coming back we took the short route and it took only 45 minutes. Rum Point was beautiful and not crowded. They had beach chairs that were free, kayaks and paddle boats for rent and a great beach grill that was very reasonable. There were tours leaving from there for the stingrays, which were located straight out from the beach...much closer than when you take the tours from the dock. I'm not sure how much they were, but I would think they would be cheaper than in town.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

We went to Rum Point last year, rented car through avis $45, and did the red sail glass bottom boat stingray snorkel through red sail sports at rum point. the cost at the time was $30pp if you had your own snorkel gear and $35pp if you used theirs. It was great. So, basically for a total of $105 we did rum point and the sting rays.

My suggestion is that you go independently to Rum Point as suggested by others. It's a lovely place with enough activities to keep busy for the entire day.

Nice food and bar service as well (operated by the Hyatt Hotel).

Of course all bets may be off. The Hyatt has already said that the hotel will be closed for hurricane repairs until 12/1/04.

The early reports about Rum Point are that it survived with some damage, but nothing serious.

That said, I suspect that Grand Cayman may not be open to cruise pax for quite a while. The government is advising all tourists to stay home; that there is no potable drinking water (there are no springs in Grand Cayman; all water is processed by Reverse Osmosis or Desalination plants) and most gasoline supplies are exhausted (all gasoline is tanked in by sea.)

Many of the roads are also destroyed or rendered impassible by storm debris.

Archived