Dome train shore excursion question

RSteele

Is it true that if you take the train excursion that you will miss going through the locks?? We are doing a partial transit....I assumed that we would go through the locks...then take the tender to where the excursion starts...but in checking with Celebrity..they say we wouldn't get to see the ship going through the locks at all...I've got 4 other couples going with us who have never done the Panama Canal. I'd hate for them to miss that experience of going through.

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting. I called Celebrity with the same question and they told me that everyone stays on the ship until after the ship goes through the first set of locks. After that, people disembark at Gatun Lake for their excursions. The passengers who do not disembark for a tour at Gatun Lake will simply go back through the same set of locks. Then the ship docks at Cristobal Pier, which is where all of the folks out on shore excursions will meet to rejoin the ship. I received this information directly from the shore excursion department. I hope that it is accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

When we took the dome car we stopped at Miralfores Locks for about 45 minutes. If I never had sailed the canal I'd stay on the ship. If I had done it I'd do the train (but, only if you get to visit the locks). Both are wonderful experiences.

Last January on Island Princess the ship, with all aboard, goes through Gatun locks and into Gatun Lake. There it stops for a couple of hours and those who have booked excursions WITH PRINCESS get off the ship and go on the excursions. While those people are gone, the ship turns around and goes back through the same lock and then ties up at Cristobal Pier. There, all can get off the ship and shop at a vendor area. Be sure and check out the baskets for sale. Meanwhile, at Cristobal the folks who were on excursions rejoin the ship before sailaway.

Last January, my excursion was cancelled at the very last minute by the government, not the ship. At first, I was very disappointed because it was to be the highlight of my cruise. However, I really enjoyed myself that day, going back through the locks again!

Archived