SHALLOW Sting Ray City Trip

PappaSiera

I've heard that some excursions offer trips to locations where you can stand on the bottom. This would be about the only way I could convince DW to experience SRC as she can't swim, and nervous is not the word to describe how she would feel in water over her head. Anyone know of any operators that offer this specificaly?

Thanks!

We have a nonswimmer in our group as well and I emailed Kelly's watersports and asked if this would work with a nonswimmer.

http://www.kellyswatersports.com.ky/html/trips.html

They said it would be fine and they provide life vests for those unsure of themselves.

I'm not endorsing Kelly's as I have no experience with them one way or another. You might want to look at the above web site. The photo shows people standing in what appears to be waist deep water. I think we'll be giving it a shot.

If you would like, I can forward a copy of their email reply to you, but I would need your email address.

-Monte

The names can sometimes get confusing - make sure you are going to the SANDBAR. There is a deeper Stingray City (around 12 ft) - more for divers, but you can really snorkel instead of walking, if that is what someone wants.

As mentioned, all operators have life vests. Usually snorkel vests (the inflatable kind) are what they hand out, but some might break out a real life jacket (they have those too).

If it is still too much, wife doesn't have to get off of the boat (but would be a shame), and she can always get out of the water and back onto the boat at any time.

If she refuses to get out of the boat, one of the guides might even bring a stingray over to her. So many people have done Stingray Sandbar that I have little doubt that the operators have knowledge and experience dealing with all types of people.

When we were there, there were lots of other boats on the sandbar, and we were off on an edge. The water where we were was up to my chin (I'm 5 foot, and had to stand on my tippy-toes), but a short distance away, I could see the water was only waist deep. I guess it just depends on how crowded it is, and where the boat can anchor.

BTW, we were there on New Year's Day, and there were only 2 ships in port. I can't imagine what a busy port day would be like out on the sandbar.

I'm not familiar with Kelly's (or most of them), but yes, looking at the website they do go to the Sandbar - they also make a second snorkle stop - Coral Gardens where the water would be over a person's head, but again, you don't have to get off of the boat. The boat also looks fine with a couple of ladders and not one of the huge cattle wagons.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that there a couple of distinctly different locations and the names can be confusing.

Not sure this is 100% accurate, but gives you an idea of the history:

http://marenostrum.org/viajes/stingray/

{apparently written last century)

Hey Pappa,

Contact Sharon at http://www.nativewaywatersports.com We were scheduled with them for November 2, but RCI wouldn't take us there. Hope you have better luck. Most of the local tour people will take you to the Stingray City Sandbar.

For the summer Nativeways had a special 4-hour tour for $40 which included a trip to the sandbar, and also the turtle farm and Hell plus some other local spots. Don't know how that is since the hurricane, but Sharon will let you know.

Enjoy!

Nativeway also has a $25 special that is for the Sandbar and one other snorkel stop (can't remember which). Reservations must be made by the end of Nov. It was made as a summer special but they've extended it.

-Monte

Archived