Are Reservations really needed for Sting Ray City Grand Cayman

golfpi

Two Questions

There will be 6 other ships along with mine at Cayman.

What are the chances of just getting off the ship on a Tuesday morning in March and being able to book a snorkel trip to Sting Ray City in The Grand Caymans?

If reservations are needed in advance, how far in advance should they be made?

Thanks

A reservation costs you nothing and can be cancelled if you want. Even if you do not go through the ships Stingray City excursion, I would make reservations with a local operator. Though there are many operators that go to Stingray City, figure on about 15,000 tourists visiting the island with you that day. I would make the reservations as far out as possible (remember, they are not etched in stone, they are just a reservation).

We were in Grand Cayman in August and decided at the last minute to do Sting Ray City. On another trip we had booked with Captain Marvin and were exceptionally pleased with them. When we got off the ship we just walked down to Captain Marvin's and asked if they had any openings. They did and it was no problem to just go with them.

I'd say take your chances!!

• 5 weeks later...
Ditto the recommendation of Captain Marvin. Did the snorkel/stingray tour last June with my 2 daughters. We all had a blast.

I would say if you are going in March, make reservations. We went last March on the Grand and I had booked a couple of months before with Captain Marvins. Some people just got off the ship and walked over to try and get on an excursion, and they had no openings. It depends on the time of year and how many ships are in port. There were 6 the day we were there. I cant remember his web site off hand, but you can make a reservation over the internet. If you have your heart set on it, I would make the reservation. You will love it, it is unbelievable!!

I can't imagine you'd have a problem with no reservations. When we went on the Disney Magic we booked through the ship, and when we got out to SC there were 1000's (o.k. maybe I'm exaggerating) of boats/people. That was our least favorite thing about the excursion - the people outnumbered the rays. Also - they rays are enticed with food to get them to come over. At some point with so many people giving them so much food they seemed to lose interest. Just my opinion.

Archived