I hate tipping.........

doemichael

I agree with you to a certain point but I must say I go out to a restaurant for the whole experiance and that is created by all staff from the cleaner all the way to the chef. As you say if the food is poor then people wont come, the reverse applies in that if the food is great and the service is bad or the venue is dirty the people wont come either.:)

As I have said I come from a culture where tipping is not the normal practice. I read earlier that money was returned to a customer when it was left on a table, that is normal in Australia. In a bar we leave our money on the bar while we are drinking and the attendant takes the cost of each beer and puts the change back in the pile. When you are finished you pick up whats left, thank the staff and leave, no tip. If there is any jar in a bar, restaurant or shop it would be a charity jar for the spare change.

I happen to agree with the pre paying of gratuities on ships because the cruise line then distributes it to the crew in an agreed way which means I am doing the right thing by the crew without the worry of offending someone without being aware of it. I believe that the pre paids on my next cruise were well over AU$300 and I think that is a fair tip in anyones language. I have in the past tipped extra to my cabin attendant because I felt he did more than would normally be asked of him.

Something that is rearly mentioned in discussions such as this is there are various countries around the world where tipping is concidered offensive and staff in hotels and the such like will say no to a tip. Research is what you should be doing before visiting another country and thats why we read these forums.:D

Very, very well stated! I intend to be sure of the cultural differences when I travel as well!:D

Archived