Suggested tours for Messina (Sicily) and Livorno

I have decided on shore tours for our other ports; however, I don't have enough information on these two ports to make an educated decision. This is my family's first time to be in Italy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have two kids, ages 9 and 12, so I feel as though they need to see the leaning tower of Pisa- but I don't see a tour which also offers a visit to the Accademia.

Help!

We took the ship's shore excursion to Taormina and enjoyed it a lot. There is not a whole lot to see in Messina itself. There is a marvelously preserved Greek and Roman theater at Taormina with fabulous views. My 7 year old son enjoyed playing gladiator there. Also a lot of good shopping in the old narrow streets of the town.

Check out this website for a tour that includes Pisa and Florence (and the Accademia). They will even make a reservation at the Accademia so you won't have to wait in line!

http://www.driverinrome.com/LV_02.htm

You can also puchase your tickets to tour the Pisa tower up to 45 days in advance.

http://www.opapisa.it/boxoffice/

Have fun!

Inahaze

Hi

I can recommend Paola Migliorini for day trips from Livorno. DH Peter and I, and a number of Cruise Critic folks on the 5/7 Galaxy Transatlantic, toured with her this Spring. Some went to Florence for the morning - saw some city sights and visited the Academy gallery to see the "David" - and then went to Pisa and for a drive through the countryside. Some (like us) went to Florence for the entire day.

Paola was highly recommended in other earlier posts on this board and I echo those recommendations. She is very knowledgeable about the Tuscany countryside and Florence. Moreover, she has a degree in art history and is a licensed guide. She accompanied us in to the Academy gallery and gave us in depth explanations of Michaelangelo's works, especially the "David". Her colleague, Marco Secci, also has a degree in art history and led us through the Uffizi gallery to point out important details of Botticelli, and other important works.

You can contact Paola at

http://www.florencetour.com

info@florencetour.com

and Marco Secci at

m.secci@tuscanytours.it

I recommend them both highly because I know you'll be really pleased with the tours they offer.

Bev

• 8 years later...

Archived