uniworld river empress european jewels cruise 10/24

terrya

My husband and I are doing this trip from Budapest to Amsterdam and have some questions. What to wear for Captain's dinner - do I need dressy clothes? Also did you feel safe walking streets on your own in Budapest & Amsterdam? Could you use ATM machines on land? Any tips or advise we would welcome. This is our first riverboat cruise. We're in early 60s and good health. Thanks.

Hi terrya....... You will love your cruise on The Empress.

In my opinion Budapest to Amsterdam is the perfect itinerary.

The Captain's Farewell and Welcome Dinner is a little dressier than most other evenings.

Dress pants and a nice blouse will suffice. No one will notice if you wear the same one for both the Welcome and the Farewell dinners.

The laundry onboard is very handy for a longer trip. The machines are free to use. Just bring some detergent. There is also an iron and board to use.

I felt very safe walking in Amsterdam. I only made it as far as Vienna and felt safe there too, as I also did in each town along the way.

You will find ATM's all along the way, but I found very little money was needed once onboard.

I think my bill at the end of the 2 week trip was 150 Euros.

We just returned from a Danube cruise on Uniworld. My husband wore a sports jacket and no tie for the Captain's Dinner. Some men did wear ties. Most women wore black pants or skirts and a dressier top or jacket. Other nights, I wore capris or on one night I even wore jeans. No one seemed to care. Don't bring too many things as the free washers and dryers are readily available. Bring comfortable walking shoes as you do a lot of walking on cobblestone streets. We used the ATM's in order to have some euros when we were on shore. Most days we did not need any extra money. The boat off docks right near the center of towns and you can walk off anytime.

We loved our first river cruise and found the service and food to be top quality. Have fun....

We just returned from a Danube cruise on Uniworld. My husband wore a sports jacket and no tie for the Captain's Dinner. Some men did wear ties. Most women wore black pants or skirts and a dressier top or jacket. Other nights, I wore capris or on one night I even wore jeans. No one seemed to care. Don't bring too many things as the free washers and dryers are readily available. Bring comfortable walking shoes as you do a lot of walking on cobblestone streets. We used the ATM's in order to have some euros when we were on shore. Most days we did not need any extra money. The boat off docks right near the center of towns and you can walk off anytime.

We loved our first river cruise and found the service and food to be top quality. Have fun....

We are cruising with Uniworld on Nov 8th sailing from Basel to Vienna and have been reading a lot about low water levels on both Rhine and Danube; did you encounter any problems or times you had to be bused?

This is also our first river cruise and from the post I am starting to get a little worried. Thanks for any information you can give.

Archived