Royal Caribbean vs. HAL?

newbie cruzer

We are planning our first cruise to Alaska in August (see my earlier post...)

First off, many thanks to the folks who answered my original post...the insights were very helpful. I believe that I've narrowed my choices to the following:

Both are 7 day cruises, R/T from Vancouver. The first is on HAL Zaandam, the other is RCI Serenade of the Seas. I've read the member reviews on both ships and still are not sure what to do! I've heard HAL is better, but that perhaps with our two children (ages 9 and 13) that RCI may be a better match. Are the RCI ships better for kids? My kids are used to staying at nice hotels when we travel and behave appropriately, so the main issue is whether the activities for kids would be better on RCI (and I've read that HAL caters more to an older clientele). Any thoughts?

Also, the itinerary on HAL includes Glacier Bay, while the RCI one goes to Hubbard Glacier. My husband has heard that you MUST go to Glacier Bay. Is this true?

AUGGH! This is tough! :) HELP!

Thanks,

Lee

My kids sailed Alaska on 4 different lines, and although you will definately get replys that RCI is superior, we found the opposite. HAL had much more individual attention, better programs including the ship naturalist stopping by. Also RCI in the past did not have a ship naturalist, which for a first time Alaska visitor will really enhance your sailing. But bottom line- I never planned my trips around the kids activities- if they are as well traveled as you state they will find activities and have a good time. It is more important in my opinion to go for the adults on their Alaska interests, and yes - Glacier Bay always get my vote. :) (and I have sailed all three glaciers)

Archived