What to see on our 14 nite cruise;Thru Panama Canal?

Flyengr

We will be on the RCI Seranade of The Seas, 23 April, 2005. We love San Juan, and know it pretty well, but have never been to Puntarenas in Costa Rica, or to Huatalco Mexico, or to Acapulco. In fact, the pacific coast is all new to us. Does anyone have any recommended things to see/do, tours to take/avoid?

This will be our 8th cruise, and cannot wait!

In Costa Rica, we did the Corabici River Rafting excursion. It was mild enough for anybody and very safe. We saw, Howler monkeys, parrots, iguana's and even some bat's clinging to a rock wall. After rafting they take you to a Costa Rican Hacienda for authentic lunch on the lawn overlooking the pool. We enjoyed it very much.

In Costa Rica, we did the Corabici River Rafting excursion. It was mild enough for anybody and very safe. We saw, Howler monkeys, parrots, iguana's and even some bat's clinging to a rock wall. After rafting they take you to a Costa Rican Hacienda for authentic lunch on the lawn overlooking the pool. We enjoyed it very much.

Rick, what about the rest of the Pacific coast line ports of call? We figure to do something in Acapulco, but what about Huatulco and Cabo San Lucas?

We did a 14 night Panama canal cruise Oct. 2004.

Acapulco: Hired a driver for the day. Saw the cliff divers. (get there about 20 mins. before show. 80% of the crowd arrived in the last 10 mins.)

Huatulco: Best place for a beach day if you want one. Water super clean and warm. Great beach right next to the peir (no taxi required) cheap drinks. Handicraft marketplace just one block up from peir. Other people hired taxis for a $20 1/2 day tour. Very nice port.

Puntarenas: We went zip lining deep in the jungle. Horrible looking port, water gross. BEST shopping at the stalls along the beach next to the peir. BEST prices on everything. This was the best shopping on our whole cruise. I would not have spent anything in Cabo, Acapulco, Hautulco, if I knew how great the prices would be here. So whatever shore excursion you decide on, make sure you have time to hit these stalls. The shopping has alot of artist stalls, we got some amazing items, not all the same junk you find everywhere.

Anything else I can answer feel free to ask...

We did a 14 night Panama canal cruise Oct. 2004.

Acapulco: Hired a driver for the day. Saw the cliff divers. (get there about 20 mins. before show. 80% of the crowd arrived in the last 10 mins.)

Huatulco: Best place for a beach day if you want one. Water super clean and warm. Great beach right next to the peir (no taxi required) cheap drinks. Handicraft marketplace just one block up from peir. Other people hired taxis for a $20 1/2 day tour. Very nice port.

Puntarenas: We went zip lining deep in the jungle. Horrible looking port, water gross. BEST shopping at the stalls along the beach next to the peir. BEST prices on everything. This was the best shopping on our whole cruise. I would not have spent anything in Cabo, Acapulco, Hautulco, if I knew how great the prices would be here. So whatever shore excursion you decide on, make sure you have time to hit these stalls. The shopping has alot of artist stalls, we got some amazing items, not all the same junk you find everywhere.

Anything else I can answer feel free to ask...

Thanks! Your insight will really help us; Please explain "zip lining". The beach day sounds fine. What about the canal? We have read some reports of taking a bus/train ride to tour the canal while your ship transits; what is your opinion?

I don't think we are able to get off of the ship while doing the canal.We were hoping to do the Embera Indian Culture, and were disappointed when we read on the boards that they do not offer excursions when going west through the canal.

zip lining is when you are harnessed to a cable that runs from tree to tree. It is a thrilling adventure not for the faint at heart. I think if you look on the web under original canopy tour costa rica you can see some streaming video. The Costy differenta Rica rain forest is unbelievable, so lush, huge trees. I recommend doing something out in the rain forest.

We stayed on the ship for our first time through the canal. We woke up at 5 am to get a spot at the rail up on deck. Next time I will not bother getting up so early. The deck is packed with people for the first set of locks. The other two sets are not any different and you can get a front row viewing spot. We could not get off the ship until we stopped in Gatun Lake. That is where the people doing the Embara indian excursion got off. We stayed on just to say we did the whole canal. We then got a certificate in our cabins the next day saying we crossed from ocean to ocean.

Vickie,

Please give me the details on your ziplining tour in Puntarenas. We will be there in March off the Regal Princess and have tried to find a zipline there, but everything seems to be on the Carribean side. Who did you use, how expensive was it, how safe, and is it only for the young??? We are 60 but like to try new things on vacation.

Virginia

Virginia: We booked our zip line through http://www.canopytour.com. The location closest to Puntarenas is called Mohogany ParK. I think it was $85 per person. That included transportation from the peir (over an hour drive) canopy tour, plus lunch in a little cafe in the middle of the jungle. There is a place supposedly closer to Puntarenas, but I do not know if it is in the jungle. There were plenty of taxi drivers at the end of the peir trying to take you to this other place "Hotel" something for zip line. If you book with ANY company they pick you up behind the gate on the peir itself. We thought we had to exit the peir since we did not book through the ship. We were bombarded by drivers wanting to take us.

The gaurd at the peir asked who we were looking for. I showed him my confirmation letter I printed off. He said to stay behind the gate and our driver (who I had the name of, and what he would be wearing) would pick us up ON the peir. This was the only confussion we had. Our driver and translator showed up about 5 min later. The translator spoke great english. He pointed some stuff out along the way. When you arrive you place your lunch order (chicken or fish). Then you get a safety lecture and harnessed in. Ziplining was great. We had a 9,13,36,36,73 year old in our group. I was very nervous but felt completely safe. My husband held our mini camcorder in one hand and filmed the whole thing. The jungle is so green and lush it is almost overwhelming. The zipling itself took about an hour. Your translator gets to do it with you. Although the people who run it all seem to know enough english to get you through. Then you drive about 10 mins. to this hostle/hotel in the middle of nowhere and have lunch out on the patio. It is ready as soon as you arrive. It was a great lunch, some had chicken, some had fish, rice, mashed potatoes, beans, and all the fresh pineapple juice you could drink. Then we drove back to Puntarenas. and went off to shop. DO NOT miss the shopping along the beach peirside. Any other questions feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...

Great info on the ziplining. How strenuous was the trip? Also, how were the heights? I have some problem with heights, but have parasailed and climbed Chichen Itza. The platform at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas bothered me a lot. The website says a mild fear of heights is ok, I'd say mine is moderate. Do you think I can do this tour?

I would say the height is two stories (approx). If you have parasailed and done the pyramids this will not be hard. You are pretty tired by the end, but it is not impossibly strenuous. I do not like heights myself. I just focused on all the vegitation around me and never went to the edge to look straight down.

Thank you Vikki, I was hoping that would be the case. I love all the snorkeling excursions, but always try to find one tour that is unlike any I've ever done and the Canopy Tour certainly caught my eye this time. Thanks for the info. Also did your cruise stop in Cabo? What do you recomend there?

Archived