Shanghai port to Shanghai (Pudong) airport after disembarkation

Trece

Hi Trece! We will be getting on the Ocean the day you leave her. Sorry we won't be cruising together again.:(

I have the same question you asked...about finding a good, reliable transfer company. We fly in March 13 with 2 friends so we will have a lot of luggage and 4 people. We are staying in a flat so we need a driver with local knowledge and a large vehicle.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Alexialsk, SwissMyst, and Bufrenee...thanks for all the info!

And Trece - you and Jim have a great cruise!

Dee

Hi Dee, I was crushed when I found out we were ships passing in the night on this cruise, no pun intended. I so wish we were traveling together. Our roll call thread is dead as a doornail and I am trying like crazy to find private tours etc. that don't break the bank being just the two of us as no one has expressed any interest at all. I have two irons in the fire re the transfer - I think the one I'm working on right now will work out better price and highly recommended - so I'll get back to you. I don't think it will take more than a few days as I'm working on another tour with the same company & need to touch bases with Jim & he's working constantly so I don't even see him to ask him a question!

Can't believe you're coming in a week in advance - what a wonderful time you'll have!!

I'll be in touch soon!

Just to report that I have now booked the Ramada Pudong Airport Hotel for an overnight in Shanghai before boarding the next day our Air China flight to Sydney. Still cannot get a definitive answer on the baggage allowance for our Air China flight as we paid Air Canada for the entire ticket from Toronto to Sydney - get different answers on my query. I am quite sure Air Canada will not let us check our bags (generous allowance with them so I say plural) all the way through to Sydney as we have an overnight stay before flying out the next day. I find with China that no one wants to give a definite answer, same with dealing with the Consulate on visa query. But they all wish me to "have a sweet day".

Be very careful! The baggage allowance for China Air is 20 Kg or 44 lbs for both domestic and international flights. The excess weight cost is about $3.50 per lb. and believe me in China they will have no hesitation in charging you.

Be very careful! The baggage allowance for China Air is 20 Kg or 44 lbs for both domestic and international flights. The excess weight cost is about $3.50 per lb. and believe me in China they will have no hesitation in charging you.

I was sure hoping for a different answer than that as I do not know how I can manage only one 'light' suitcase for forty days - a 36 day cruise. And I really wanted to shop for all those good deals in Asia, but that will not permit any extra room. I have no idea how I shall get around that esp. when we return via Air Canada from Beijing which still allows two larger bags per person.

Sorry about that. Of course there are exceptions, like business class and if you are an elite member in Aeroplan which to Air China is Gold. Looks like shopping in Shanghai is out, unless you forward one suitcase by UPS or somebody else to Sydney. Beijing is not such a bad place to shop, and in fact better in some respects than Shanghai, less hassle.

Sorry about that. Of course there are exceptions, like business class and if you are an elite member in Aeroplan which to Air China is Gold. Looks like shopping in Shanghai is out, unless you forward one suitcase by UPS or somebody else to Sydney. Beijing is not such a bad place to shop, and in fact better in some respects than Shanghai, less hassle.

It was not just in Shanghai that I wanted to shop, but all of Asia as we have several ports in Vietnam (very inexpensive), Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. I have so many extra cases already as every time I have been on a long trip, I end up buying another bag to fill up with goodies and bring home, so I am sure that I shall add another one this trip. Of more concern is travelling so light with clothes from home for that long of a journey, but at least no need for heavy sweaters,etc. as I needed for Iceland, Russia, etc.

Trece - ShanghaiLimo has quoted us $88 for a van (for 4 people and lots of luggage) from the airport to the flat. I'm not sure we can do much better than that.

Bufrenee - we have shopped in Shanghai before but I's be interested to know if you - or alexialsk - have any shopping suggestions...or suggestions for restaurants.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Dee

Dorinda, We like buying cashmere at the Shanghai No. 1 Dept. Store at the end of Nanjing Road East on the people's sq. end. They have all different brands on the ground floor, when we were there last month the discounts were in the 50 to 70% range. A tip for you when you go to the shops where the prices are marked. Look out for numbers like 3,4 or 5 which means 70-60 or 50% off.

The other things that are very reasonable are pearls and we deal with a lady at the Shanghai Hongqiao Pearl City on Hongmei Road which is about a 40 RMB taxi ride from the downtown. The shop no. is 2020 on the first floor and her name is XU YUN NAN. You will need to bargain there and the trick is to get a whole load before you bargain and not bargain for each piece. The norm is to offer 1/2 and settle for around 2/3.

For restaurants it all depends on what you are looking for and how many people, tough to get Chinese for two people.

By the way when are you going? If you need more info let me know.

Bufrenee - we will be there for a week before our cruise - March 13-20 and we will be staying in a rented flat with two friends.

We have been to Shanghai several times before but never overnight...only on cruises. Last time we went to the Science and Technology underground market and the new Xiang Yang markets. Have you been to Longhua market? Is it any good?

Cheers & thanks for the info - cashmere could be just the thing if we are freezing cold!

Dee

Well you will have plenty of time to look around. We don't go to too many markets. and find the haggling too much of an effort. The only markets that we have been to were the wholesale market, but unfortunately cannot tell you how to get there as we were always driven there. We usually get all our tea there ,I do have a card but all in Chinese, you might be able mto call them when you are there to get directions. their number is 021-64703109.You wont need to dial the 021 when in Shanghai.The whole sale market not only sells tea but almost everything imaginable. When we were there in Dec. we specially wanted drapes made for the house both heavy and net. It cost us under $1000 for three bedrooms, kitchen living and dining room. It takes about a week and the measurements must be in metric centimetres. The other market that we went to was the cloth and materials market at the other end of the bund pass the bridge.

A very good Chinese restaurant is the Crystal Jade in the HK Plaza at the Huangpi Rd station on the metro red line one stop from people's square and just a block from Xintiandi where there are a whole lot of western restaurants and bars.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

Our ship will not dock at the new terminal beause of its size (Diamond Princess), but at WAIGAOQIAO. Our tour guide says he is not allowed to drive into the port, but will meet us on Dagu Rd.

Could someone give mr perspective. How far is this port from Dagu RD. Since driving is not allowed in the port, do the ships offer shuttle service?

Any insight will be appreciated

Archived