Snorkel options in Belize

bethohio3

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Belize port of call forum, so please forgive me if I guessed wrong!

My husband and I would like to snorkel in Belize when we stop there in February. We're seriously considering a ship tour to avoid the tender to the city and back again.

Which of the available tours is likely to be the best snorkeling?

Thanks!

--Beth

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend Turneffe over Goff's Caye. Cannot comment on Sargeant's Caye. What ever tour you choose, go in the Morning-- water is calmer. The morning trip also leaves you time to tender into port for some shopping.

I did Turneffe beach break my first time in Belize Dec 2005. In the morning, the reef was beautiful and even though our boat ( large motorized catamaran) was full, you could get in the water and get away from the crowd.

The beach break is/was on Bannister Caye (pictures available on the web) which is a mangrove island with some man-made beach area added. The water is clear and clean. There are beach chairs, shaded areas, food for money and a small gift shop and bathrooms and outside showers to wash the salt/sand off. You can take blow up floats or rent some on the island. Also, Kayaks for rent as well. Bigger with more shaded seating in 2009. You will be on the island for about 1 hour.

I tried Goff's Cay in Dec 2008. It is a VERY small island (pictures available on the web). Smaller boats and fewer people than Turneffe. The reef I saw was nothing to brag about. A lot of dead coral and sand on the coral. Did see some fish and rays. They gave us the choice to swim off the beach or out of the boat. Due to weather/sea conditions (a lot of wind this trip), I elected to swim off the beach. This was a "guided tour" with a leader in front with a bouy or life vest and a train of swimmers of various levels of skill. Not a lot of fun.

In Dec 2009, tried Turneffe Beach break again since it was so great the first time. Different boat and crew with more people on the boat. The crew were great people and tried very hard to give a good time. When we got to the reef, there were already 3 smaller boats there. Again a "guided" swim. Too many people in the water. Reef has suffered over the past 4 yrs. Did get to see some fish and leopard ray. You need to be a strong swimmer for this trip. Current can get fairly strong. Had to swim against it to get back to the boat. The crew did have a member on a kayak who brought several swimmers back to the boat. While we were in the water, two large boats came in with more swimmers. I really don't like snorkling in a crowd. I might add that three large cruise ships were in port that day.

Advantage to the trips booked through the cruise line is that they pick you up at the ship and take you back to the ship.

More info available under the Belize port of call pages.

Have a great cruise..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived