Staying in New Orleans Gretna area

cruzin43

We are staying in New Orleans two days before our cruise on July 5th. There is a festival there that weekend that has caused all the hotels downtown to be full or extremly high. We booked a room at the Clarion Inn in gretna on West Bank. If anyone could help i would like to know:

1)If that area is a safe area?

2)About how far it is from the port of new orleans?

3)We will be leaving our vehicle at the hotel. What is the best transportation to the port?

Thanks for your help

I have lived on the Westbank not too far from the hotel for a number of years. My family has done a large amount of business with this hotel. It is safe and they have a friendly staff. They let you park your cars for free while you are away on your cruise. It is about 10 mins. from the port. A cab ride will be about $20.00 to the port. I think that this is the perfect hotel to rest up at before your cruise.:)

I have lived on the Westbank not too far from the hotel for a number of years. My family has done a large amount of business with this hotel. It is safe and they have a friendly staff. They let you park your cars for free while you are away on your cruise. It is about 10 mins. from the port. A cab ride will be about $20.00 to the port. I think that this is the perfect hotel to rest up at before your cruise.:)

thank you for your response. i read that there is a ferry we culd take across the river to new orleans. about how far is it. and also is there anything to do in the area where the hotel is located. we will be thre on the 4th of july, will there be any fireworks or something fun to do in the area. thanks in advance for your help.

I am getting conflicting reports on this area. We are staying at the Holiday Inn in Gretna and I have to say I am worried about the cars while we are gone. The parking lot is not secure but they say they have night security. I know the hotel sits by a housing project and an overpass for a freeway. I am not sure there is any hotel in the NOLA area that is truly safe for cars and I cannot pay the $$$$ for the port parking so may have to take our chances.

It would cost $84 to park near the port, or you can leave your car at the Holiday Inn and pay for a taxi there and back. That being said, Gretna is not a bad area. If I left my car, I would park it as close to the front entrance as possible so it would be in a well lighted area at night. And make sure the hotel knows you are leaving your car...I'm assuming you already know if they will let you or not. You don't want them to think it is abandoned and have it towed.

Did the Clarion Inn change their name to the Holiday Inn or was it the Holiday Inn and now its the Clarion. Has anyone stayed at the Clarion Inn and know if its worth the $125 a night we will be paying. I'm sure it probably is considering what they are charging downtown New Orleans.

Archived